Notices

Thread: a observation

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: a observation 
    LifeSaver is defo worth it at least 4 times when i was touring around scotland there was somthing in my blind spot car/bike and i adjusted accordingly! phew to me

2. Re: a observation 
    haha oakley you are the funniest on this forum by far. Yes, I like to look in my mirrors regularly and know what's going on. That way there's no way there will be anything in your "blind spot" as you'll have seen it coming. And if you didn't see it coming, chances are it will already have passed you..

3. Re: a observation 
    Trust me, for the second or so it takes, a right lifesaver is worth doing. Have looked over my shoulder more than once only to find a car, motorcycle, cyclist etc in my blind spot.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

4. Re: a observation 
    Definately one of the MOST important checks prior to manoeuvres to change direction of travel.
    It has definately saved me from some nasty incidents.
    The majority of the time it is a "Sports-type bike" that has to overtake with the minimum of clearance between himself and me; even if their is no oncoming traffic! >

5. Re: a observation 
    Yeah, though travelling at 70mph you will travel 30 metres in that second the life saver takes. You have to assess what is going on in front as well as behind. Sometimes you may not have time to do a lifesaver, say for example in emergency situations. Don't get me wrong, during general riding, I do my shoulder check automatically whenever I pull out. It is part of my riding system to prevent crashing so I make sure I do it.

6. Re: a observation 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    [quote author=470four link=1315658258/3#3 date=1315686705]Lifesavers prove their worth when riding with other bikes, when those damn motorcyclists come zooming up behind you from nowhere and sit in your blindspot...
    Over 40mph I don't bother as the distance I travel while looking behind me is more dangerous IMO. I rely on knowing whats behind me at all times, not just when I want to make a move.
    [/quote]

A Life Saver is a 1 second glace to your left or right to about 90 degrees or there abouts. There is next to no time in taking to look enough to fill your peripheral vision with enough information to tell you whether it is safe to pull out or not.. Its only your head moving nothing else.

An over the shoulder check , different kettle of fish as its a full look back and it can change the direction of your bars with your body moving, normally only done from a standstill before pulling away

By rights the distance travelled shouldn't matter as you should be within the 2 second rule gap from the vehicle in front and if not you have lined youself up sufficiently for a quick glance before that overtaking manouvre..... Just an observation

7. Re: a observation 
    PS ... sorry Graham x

8. Re: a observation 
    Diamond Member
    if you go MUCH faster than the rest of the traffic you dont need to do a lifesaver :-)
    i never even had mirrors on my fzr1000 for four years..... ;-)

9. Re: a observation 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    It's what we of a certain age used to call "looking over your right shoulder to see what's behind you"
    Thanks Snowy - maybe a bit niave of me to think that repackaged, buzzwordised, dumbeddown management speak wouldn't find its way into biking - but there you have it...

'check behind' always worked for me...

10. Re: a observation 
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnydangerous
    if you go MUCH faster than the rest of the traffic you dont need to do a lifesaver :-)
    i never even had mirrors on my fzr1000 for four years..... ;-)
    ;D ;D ;D