Notices

Thread: Why you shouldn't order parts while still asleep!

1. Why you shouldn't order parts while still asleep! 
    Platinum Member
    So 2 weeks ago after a fair amount of research i ordered a new chain a sprockets, The recommended chain for my bike is a 520 pitch but for all sorts of reason i won't go into it shouldn't have been!
    So i ordered a 415 pitch chain/sprockets which is what should have been recommended in the first place, it was a special order and had to be made, hence the too week wait.
    Earlier this week i preemptively took off my old chain/sprockets and while doing so managed to snap the split link! "No worries though i'll have my new one soon enough."
    I carried on my merry way, today i got a shiny big box through so i grab my tools and go and get the rear wheel off my bike open up the box and fit the front sprocket, pull out the rear sprocket and ...
    well can you see the problem?

How about now?

Yup you got it, the mounting points are WAYYYYY off, i've ordered the sprocket from a 05-09 RS instead of a 92-05 RS DAWWWW!

Ordered another of the right year this time!

Oh and just to mention that was smaller than i expected so have ordered a bigger one this time, would have had to slip the clutch for a couple of miles with one that small

2. Re: Why you shouldn't order parts while still asleep! 
    Diamond Member
    dont want to add insult to injury but is it really advisable to put a 415 pitch on a full power RS for a bike on the road/your everyday transport?.......
    id have thought that the 520 would have lasted MUCH longer, and been the sensible bet even if it loses the odd horse power in frictional losses.......

415 might not last very long mate, even IF you find one in x ring or o ring................

3. Re: Why you shouldn't order parts while still asleep! 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnydangerous
    dont want to add insult to injury but is it really advisable to put a 415 pitch on a full power RS for a bike on the road/your everyday transport?.......
    id have thought that the 520 would have lasted MUCH longer, and been the sensible bet even if it loses the odd horse power in frictional losses.......

415 might not last very long mate, even IF you find one in x ring or o ring................
    Got an O-ring and from everything I've read it seems they last about the same distance as the engine, about 10k miles, I've had the 520 that I've just take off since I got the bike just over a year ago and I've had to adjust it once! Needed to replace it because I managed to mangle it a bit by resting the engine on it :/ it was ok just a bit rough but now I have money again I wanna get it running properly.
    The only reason they put a 520 on as standard was because 415 chains aren't what you'd call easy to come by, from what I've read moving down to a 415 makes the bike much more responsive and lively. You have to take into account that unless (*cough* until*cough*) I get the cylinder tuned and get the head machined the bike is only putting out about 23-24 bhp so the strain on the chain isn't what you'd call huge!
    Ill give it a go and if it all goes horribly wrong and the chain wears out in no time at all ill swap it back over to a 520.

4. Re: Why you shouldn't order parts while still asleep! 
    Platinum Member
    Well while i'm waiting for the sprocket i thought' i'd finally get to changing the fork oil, had the bottle sat there for a few weeks and just haven't gotten round to it yet, d'you think it was a bit over-due?!

thats me push pushing down on it :

5. Re: Why you shouldn't order parts while still asleep! 
    Probably on a par with cider-ebay, its never a good idea, three days later and who knows whats going to land ;D

6. Re: Why you shouldn't order parts while still asleep! 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wesrrw
    Probably on a par with cider-ebay, its never a good idea, three days later and who knows whats going to land ;D
    I'm now incredibly confused!

7. Re: Why you shouldn't order parts while still asleep! 
    Diamond Member
    As in don't order from ebay after a night on the cider! lol

My mate did that and a wedding dress turned up a few days later, which he had no recollection of buying. There's a pic of my brother wearing it on facebook!

8. Re: Why you shouldn't order parts while still asleep! 
    Platinum Member
    haha xD ahh i see now, was reading it in teh wrong context
    although i do have to ask... what was he trying to order when he got the wedding dress? :S

9. Re: Why you shouldn't order parts while still asleep! 
    :-? that probably the best/worst so far ;D