Notices

Thread: Just an observation

1. Just an observation 
    Platinum Member
    I am not trying to upset anyone nor am I trying to start a huge debate

I have noticed that a few newer members are (quite rightly) looking at getting a cheap (er) 125 as a starter bike and everyone has been slating the Chinese ones to hell and back, Now I greatly appreciate that for obvious reasons they arn't going to be upto the standard of Yamaha, honda etc but In my opinion they can't all be that bad

A case in point that a good few of you will probably think "Oh yes thats right I did" Me included, Will remember saying what a nice little bike Lou has

Now from what I saw of it last Sunday it was a pretty well put together machine.(L-Plate aside )

If memory serves it is a KAM 125 which very much resembles the Suzuki GN/SR 125 and although not a Jap bike it still took Lou out on her ride with Rosie et al.and at speed from what I gather

Like I say I'm not trying to stir a hornets nest its just my observation of peeps slating machines that for their purpose would probably be ok :-[

Right let the Pee-Taking begin :P :P :P

2. Re: Just an observation 
    Diamond Member
    my mate bought a BRAND NEW chinese bike (offroader) 125 for £550.
    he beat the C**P out of it offroad for a year, fell off, didnt run it in, didnt service it, replaced fallen off/broken bits with ebay specials and the thing never missed a beat!

he then sold it for £400 !

it is probably dead by now, but it was good whilst it lasted and a whole years offroading for £150 is a dam good result!!!......

3. Re: Just an observation 
    Fair point Simon, I personally think there's a lot of snobbery in biking! :-/
    I was advised in no uncertain terms that I would be wasting my money on anything other than the well known brands when I first started riding last year.
    As it was I did the accelerate DAS so bypassed the 125 stage and went and bought a 600.
    Although my bike knowledge is extremely limited if someone asked me my opinion I'd say go and read reviews, ask around but ultimately the choice is yours and if a cheap bike is the only thing you can afford to get you riding then so be it!
    It's Lilac... not pink!

4. Re: Just an observation 
    Diamond Member
    With most things in life, you get what you pay for. As long as your happy with what you've got, you're the only one that matters.

However, the safety thing does concern me slightly... Anything that can go faster than 20mph, shouldn't just fall apart....?

5. Re: Just an observation 
    They're not all bad, but it's difficult to know which ones will last the distance. I know Hyosung are ok, and a couple of training companies use AJS's. I've even thought about AJS's as well, cos they're cheap, reliable, and based in Andover I believe. But some of them are shocking. We've seen bikes that are only six months old, in a worse state than a 20 year old CG125. Maybe to help out the newbies, we should have a section dedicated to cheap imports, so folks can work out what's best. :-?
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

6. Re: Just an observation 
    Platinum Member
    Yes - they are cheap and in that respect an ideal learner bike in so much that spares are cheap & you would feel better about dropping a £900 bike than you would a £2900 bike.

Yes - they dont look bad - but remember they haven't been out for long & I would like to see one after a few Winters & neglect? Can see the point in the 125's as a cheap disposable learner bike but wouldnt throw a leg over anything bigger - motorcycles are dangerous enough with some random mechanical failure seeing you in a ditch.

7. Re: Just an observation 
    I must say that Hyosung's look very well made, but they are not the cheapest. The Chineses are getting better but still patchy. Personally I'd get an older Japanese bike.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

8. Re: Just an observation 
    Don't see the point in them what-so-ever.
    If a bike is simply your mode of transport they're no good as if it breaks down you can't get anywhere and if you ride for fun they're no good because it's no fun breaking down.
    As for the safety aspect, it's a no brainer. When was the last last time you heard of a jap bike's swing arm locking solid?

I know common sense goes out of the window when buying a bike, otherwise we'd all be riding a CBR 600f, but it is simply something I would never consider.

It seems that some people will keep asking a question untill they get the answer they want to hear. The Chinese are years behind the rest of the world with regards to engineering in the same way Japan was 60 years ago. They will catch up but untill then I don't fancy being one of their guinea pigs.

If you buy one because it's all you can afford, well i'm sorry but you can't afford to ride and god knows what state the rest of your kits is in.

9. Re: Just an observation 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    I know common sense goes out of the window when buying a bike, otherwise we'd all be riding a CBR 600f, ...
    :P