BonnieLass
    Charley X
    speedy (if ok)
    for the 21st. Great stuff girls!
    [/quote]
    maybe we can sqeeze pirate in aswell??

2. Re: Protecting my Bike 
    Quote Originally Posted by gennie
    [quote author=gennie link=1287819870/15#29 date=1287908708][quote author=Honda_Star link=1287819870/15#27 date=1287907160]Ok so thats

Star (me)
    BonnieLass
    Charley X
    speedy (if ok)
    for the 21st. Great stuff girls!
    [/quote]
    maybe we can sqeeze pirate in aswell??[/quote] or im happy to do 28th

3. Re: Protecting my Bike 
    I'm happy for the 28th - so me Robin, Morticia - but where?

4. Re: Protecting my Bike 
    I use cheap chainlube as a cheap (if messy) aletrnative. You need the sticky sh*t, but it forms a water repellant layer over the cases and keeps the carp off.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

5. Re: Protecting my Bike 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    I use cheap chainlube as a cheap (if messy) aletrnative. You need the sticky sh*t, but it forms a water repellant layer over the cases and keeps the carp off.
    WOW... you must do some real seriously wet weather riding if you have trouble with carp getting into your bits

Gerry

6. Re: Protecting my Bike 
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry
    [quote author=Jon_W link=1287819870/30#33 date=1287990516]I use cheap chainlube as a cheap (if messy) aletrnative. You need the sticky sh*t, but it forms a water repellant layer over the cases and keeps the carp off.
    WOW... you must do some real seriously wet weather riding if you have trouble with carp getting into your bits

Gerry [/quote]

Carp in your bits sounds painful and expensive!

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

7. Re: Protecting my Bike 
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbonnie
    [quote author=Gerry link=1287819870/30#34 date=1287994370][quote author=Jon_W link=1287819870/30#33 date=1287990516]I use cheap chainlube as a cheap (if messy) aletrnative. You need the sticky sh*t, but it forms a water repellant layer over the cases and keeps the carp off.

Gerry [/quote]

Carp in your bits sounds painful and expensive!

BB[/quote]

Not when they're covered in chainlube!!!! ;D
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

8. Re: Protecting my Bike 
    Platinum Member
    All sounds a bit fishy to me

9. Re: Protecting my Bike 
    Platinum Member
    Chain lube??? Dude, seriously, that's not good and will cost you way more in the long run than you think you're saving.

Chain lube will will keep the damp and dirt off the bits it touches, unless there's damp and dirt there already, in which case it will trap it there doing more damage than if you'd not lubed it at all. Unlike ACF50 it won't creep into all the nooks and crannies and electrical connectors you can't see or get to, to displace water and neutralise salt solutions and protect your entire bike against corrosion.

What it will do is hold onto every last piece of dirt and salt that gets onto it, holding it against your bike where it can happily do it's damage round the clock, It's also incredibly difficult to wash off so will dry out and bake on looking vile and filthy on all the bits you can't get into to clean thoroughly.

It'll form a grinding paste with all the dirt that will prematurely wear away your chain and sprockets, chew up bushes and fork/oil seals, scratch into the paint where any two bits meet and rub together and any salt stuck in it will eat into your bare alloy because you won't be able to wash it off effectively unless you use very aggressive cleaners that will also damage your bike.

How much chain lube are you getting through? A quart bottle of ACF50 is about £30 and will last you over a year even if you were to throughly clean your bike every weekend, the cheapest chain lube I could find is £5 a can. ACF50 is six times the price of that can, but it'll outlast it many times over and will do the job 100 times better.

Go and stand in the corner facing the wall and think about what you're doing to your poor bike in the name of false economy!
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

10. Re: Protecting my Bike 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYJAY
    I'm happy for the 28th - so me Robin, Morticia - but where?
    Hmmm, no idea...My place is no good.