Notices

Thread: Lower petrol & diesel prices e-petition

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Re: Lower petrol & diesel prices e-petition 
    Diamond Member
    Get a 2nd job (I reckon most of the 3 million unemployed would like one)
    Put Tobacco tax up (£11.1 billion already)
    Cycle to work, etc.

If this thread is anything to go by, the ruling classes who got us in to this economic mess are succeeding in their “Divide and conquer” the masses strategy.

Just a few alternatives to make savings: Scrap trident (£15 billion).
    Bankers pay back our £30 billion and stop receiving huge bonuses for failing.
    One school costing £2.5 million to build by conventional funding costs the taxpayer Approx £26 million when the profiteers on the Public Private Partnerships (hardly a partnership) schemes get their cut.
    Tax relief on pensions - Treasury figures reveal that 60 per cent of tax relief, close to £22 billion, goes to higher rate taxpayers, including 25 per cent – nearly £10 billion a year – to the top one per cent of earners, on more than £150,000 a year. >And so on and so on……

As I’m not a member of the “We are all in this together" club I will be joining the millions who take to the streets in protest against the cuts.
    [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

2. Re: Lower petrol & diesel prices e-petition 
    Platinum Member
    & apparently now I have to get pregnant, have four kids & live off of benefits as comutting is beyond me.
    Not quite what I meant by "rethinking your options" but of course I was speaking generally and not about you personally. There are plenty of options beyond private transport like walking/bus/lift share/train/bicycle.
    If you have put yourself in a position where you HAVE to use private transpot then that is your responsibility and a consequence of choices you have made.
    You need to take responsibility for your actions.
    It's now essential that we all live within our means both personally and nationally.

& all Im doing is asking people to put there names on an online petition??
    Which is completely pointless, because there is no way in this severe economic crisis that economic policy is going to be changed simply because you (and others) want your petrol to be cheaper.

I don't agree with your point about cigarettes and booze. Other people are entitled to their hobbies. If you have put yourself in a position (by choice of home and job) where the only way to get to work is by private transport then that's your choice. You do not have the right to restrict the choices of others to smoke/drink.

I do not like the way you are trying to coerce people into doing something they don't want by minimising their views (which isn't working BTW).
    I have to say that I also did not like the way you volunteered me to post my sidi boots (when there was no way I could get them to the post office on my bike) and I didn't like the way you tried to hijack the girls rideout for your own political agenda as well.

Ask whatever you want, but please stick to asking and not coercion.
    Not everyone agrees with your agenda and you have to accept that.

If you don't want to agree with me that's fine, but I planned my life so that I have 7 options for transport to work. I don't expect the worlds oil reserves, UK economic policy or currency exchange rates to fit around my choices and I think that's extremely self-centered.

3. Re: Lower petrol & diesel prices e-petition 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    & apparently now I have to get pregnant, have four kids & live off of benefits as comutting is beyond me.
    Not quite what I meant by "rethinking your options" but of course I was speaking generally and not about you personally. There are plenty of options beyond private transport like walking/bus/lift share/train/bicycle.
    If you have put yourself in a position where you HAVE to use private transpot then that is your responsibility and a consequence of choices you have made.
    You need to take responsibility for your actions.
    It's now essential that we all live within our means both personally and nationally.

& all Im doing is asking people to put there names on an online petition??
    Which is completely pointless, because there is no way in this severe economic crisis that economic policy is going to be changed simply because you (and others) want your petrol to be cheaper.

I don't agree with your point about cigarettes and booze. Other people are entitled to their hobbies. If you have put yourself in a position (by choice of home and job) where the only way to get to work is by private transport then that's your choice. You do not have the right to restrict the choices of others to smoke/drink.

I do not like the way you are trying to coerce people into doing something they don't want by minimising their views (which isn't working BTW).
    I have to say that I also did not like the way you volunteered me to post my sidi boots (when there was no way I could get them to the post office on my bike) and I didn't like the way you tried to hijack the girls rideout for your own political agenda as well.

Ask whatever you want, but please stick to asking and not coercion.
    Not everyone agrees with your agenda and you have to accept that.

If you don't want to agree with me that's fine, but I planned my life so that I have 7 options for transport to work. I don't expect the worlds oil reserves, UK economic policy or currency exchange rates to fit around my choices and I think that's extremely self-centered.
    At the minute we are in the middle of a recession, I would LOVE to be able to walk to work, to have it a mile down the road and save my petrol for the weekends? Sadly jobs today are few and far between & I cannot afford to move house to have yet another employer go under?

Public transport is both expensive and unreliable, I enjoy the freedom that I have having my own transport? I go where I want when I like & dont have to fight for a tiny seat on a bus/train. I would rather walk somewhere than take a train/bus, riding a bicycle with todays traffic is suicidal - & I salute anybody that does do it.

The ladies rideout? (This thread is getting more diverse by the second...) I asked very civilly & politely if they would join us, being that they were meeting at the same place we were an hour or so before? They declined, I wished them a happy ride.

No dramas.

Your boots? I suggested they could be posted to you? Im sorry this offended you and got involved? :-/ Its a public forum & I was just trying to help?

Im not suggesting this petition will save the world. If it does something, good! If it doesnt, we tried.

"Dont wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bl**dy thing!" Barry Sheene

4. Re: Lower petrol & diesel prices e-petition 
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabz
    They have to raise it in parliament, they don't have to take it seriously...
    True!

I think this is the most sensible comment so far... :P
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

5. Re: Lower petrol & diesel prices e-petition 
    I am struggling to see how this thread fits in "General Bike Chat"

6. Re: Lower petrol & diesel prices e-petition 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 470four
    Squashed Fly - once again you have astounded us with your outright capacity to talk supreme b0llocks.

In the time it has taken you to write the above dirge you could have been filling out the petition?

Cheaper fuel - double the price of tobacco & cigarettes. Done.

I dont deny anybody the right to have a drink, but cigarettes etc are not good for you in anyway, shape or form & as such are not necessary, if people still feel they have to smoke then they can pay the price. I have to drive to get to work, THATS a necessity.
    470 four - obesity and lack of exercise are massive burdens on the NHS.
    Would you propose that fatty foods have an 'unhealthy foods' tax put on them?
    The revenue raised from taxes on smoking and alcohol at least in part go to fund the NHS however if you gorge yourself on an unhealthy diet is it right that other peoples taxes fund your glutony?
    I'm just playing devils advocate.....

7. Re: Lower petrol & diesel prices e-petition 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobf279
    I am struggling to see how this thread fits in "General Bike Chat"
    Agreed

8. Re: Lower petrol & diesel prices e-petition 
    Diamond Member
    Not wishing to be disrespectful- may I suggest that it might be the case that bikes run on fuel.

9. Re: Lower petrol & diesel prices e-petition 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    Not wishing to be disrespectful- may I suggest that it might be the case that bikes run on fuel.
    Agreed - I'm just playing.

Fuel prices are ridiculous in this country
    Highest prices in Europe (and most of the rest of the world)
    Rip off Britain culture again comes into play........

10. Re: Lower petrol & diesel prices e-petition 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    [quote author=Dabz link=1317385148/1#1 date=1317389427]They have to raise it in parliament, they don't have to take it seriously...
    True!

I think this is the most sensible comment so far... :P[/quote]

It being raised in parliament will highlight the fact that so many people arnt happy with fuel prices? If no one complains they will assume everybody is happy & keep on jacking the price up?

No complaints = no action, we can put up with it and sit on our hands or we, the masses can take action?