Notices

Thread: How to persuade...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. How to persuade... 
    I need help. I am trying to persuade Em that she need to ride a geared bike, not just the twist and go scooter.... have tried every angle I can think of.... and it's not working!

Any ideas...... apart from Give up!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

2. Re: How to persuade... 
    Diamond Member
    I have a similar issue. All I can say, is the more you try and [s]force[/s] persuade them, the more it tends to put them off.

If someone doesn't want to do something, probably best to leave it?

Besides - bike time is my time. Not sure I want to share it with 'er indoors. It's the best bit of peace and quiet I get! (and she gets as well I'm sure!) ;D

3. Re: How to persuade... 
    I said nothing to Hazel and she decided of her own accord to do her CBT and then her full test! Was really fun chasing her round the Dorset/Somerset/Wilts countryside yesterday on her 1st ride on the 500!
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

4. Re: How to persuade... 
    Jon.
    Have you tried the opposite tack?
    Its the worse thing Em could ever do....
    Biggest mistake is to ride a two wheeled vehicle with a manual gearchange; as it is too challenging for the weaker sex.
    It is a mans world only when it comes to nifty gearchanging on a motorbike......
    Failing that, I believe Honda and Aprillia do an auto motorcycle?

5. Re: How to persuade... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    I need help. I am trying to persuade Em that she need to ride a geared bike, not just the twist and go scooter.... have tried every angle I can think of.... and it's not working!

Tell her that the scooter "doesn't go with what she's wearing" or tell her that her "bum looks big on it" she'll soon change it for a proper bike! lol

6. Re: How to persuade... 
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS
    Tell her that the scooter "doesn't go with what she's wearing" or tell her that her "bum looks big on it" she'll soon change it for a proper bike! lol
    No. All that will happen is that I get a slap!!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

7. Re: How to persuade... 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackandchrome
    Jon.
    Have you tried the opposite tack?
    Its the worse thing Em could ever do....
    Biggest mistake is to ride a two wheeled vehicle with a manual gearchange; as it is too challenging for the weaker sex.
    It is a mans world only when it comes to nifty gearchanging on a motorbike......
    Failing that, I believe Honda and Aprillia do an auto motorcycle?
    Lol… in my experience reverse psychology stops working with females when they are about six years old ;D

Think you already have the answer yourself in your first post - give up and let her do exactly what she wants to do (and have a happy, contented life) 8-)

Could be worse, she may only want to ride a horse :-/

Good luck...
    G

8. Re: How to persuade... 
    u could try booking her in with mr able and his team for a taster? It might be she is just a tad nervous about riding a geared bike? A car-park lesson with mr able might change her mind for you?
    Don't get confused between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are...

9. Re: How to persuade... 
    Quote Originally Posted by swarwick
    u could try booking her in with mr able and his team for a taster? It might be she is just a tad nervous about riding a geared bike? A car-park lesson with mr able might change her mind for you?
    She did her CBT on a geared bike and didn't like it.... hence the reluctance to move away from the scoot....

My line has been that one day's worth of riding isn't enough to get used to gears and she needs to practice more.

10. Re: How to persuade... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W

WHY ???

Why would you want to persuade her to change what SHE wants for something YOU want for her.........Im sure shes old enough to make her own decisions.

To be honest I would be a rebel and just go against what you want just to pee you off hehehe

No-one should be what they dont want to be and do what they dont want to do (thats why I always wear odd socks to work hehe...Its my own personal way of saying 'stuff you' to conformity...hehe I know thats pretty daft but hey since when have I been 'normal'?)

So, stand your ground Mrs Jon W......you do what you want ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D