Notices

Thread: 400s?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. 400s?! 
    Platinum Member
    So i've started looking at bikes for when my license becomes unrestricted, the current plan is to buy one cheap that needs a bit of work and get it sorted over the next 18 months of being on a restricted lisence.
    Been looking at 600s and they're all a bit... obvious... so i've been looking into 400s (400 sports...obv)
    The options are
    ZXR400, CBR400, FZR400, VFR400, GSXR400

I'm leaning towards the later FZR's the 90-95 model (with the sharp diving front end) and the GSXR 400. Probably more so toward the FZR...

I know that most 400s are grey imports and parts aren't always the easiest things to come by, and before anybody says anything i know i like making my life difficult, but has anybody owned any of them, i've not ruled ANY out yet, or know much about them?
    I'm still not 100% about it but its in my thunkings

I've been doing a bit of reading and am seeing mixed reviews of them all and they all seem to be a bit vague about it all.

OPINIONS PLEASE! ;D

Cheers

2. Re: 400s?! 
    Platinum Member
    Owned an NC24 VFR400 (the one before the NC30, 16" front wheel...) and an NC23 Triarm CBR400RR, TOP bike! VERY fast with excellent handling.

Get yourself on 400greybike.com, top 400 import forum

Be aware these bikes will be +/- 20 years old and will have seen a LOT of abuse, good panels are hard to come by....

3. Re: 400s?! 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 470four
    Owned an NC24 VFR400 (the one before the NC30, 16" front wheel...) and an NC23 Triarm CBR400RR, TOP bike! VERY fast with excellent handling.

Get yourself on 400greybike.com, top 400 import forum

Be aware these bikes will be +/- 20 years old and will have seen a LOT of abuse, good panels are hard to come by....
    Cool stuff just what i wanted to hear ;D
    Will check out that site :]
    I'm not too fussed about OEM panels tbh if they're in a state then its quite easy to find plastics to replace them. Not glamorous but they tidy it up ;]
    Still only in the thinking stages atm but i'm very tempted, i may or may not have had a sneaky peak on biketrader ^^

4. Re: 400s?! 
    The GSX-R is good fun, but the CBR's are more numerous.

As 470 says, get on 400greybike.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

5. Re: 400s?! 
    Sean.C
    Take a look at ZXR 400s. Great little bikes that will teach you a lot about riding . When you get to the point where your getting the best out of one , you'll have no problems with a bigger bike .

6. Re: 400s?! 
    Diamond Member
    Sean is probably right, but I would always choose the RVF400 (which is missing from your list!) just because even for a 400, it still has that 'wow' factor and is still a gorgeous little bike by todays standards!

Tough to find ones that haven't had the arse ragged off them though... It's a bit like trying to find an M3, or an impreza, that has been driven 'kindly' for it's life!

400's are a bit like 125s in that a lot of youngsters get them, who dont have the money or inclination to look after them and service them like they need, given the thrashing they normally get. But find a well treated one and it will give you plenty of years of good fun.

7. Re: 400s?! 
    Platinum Member
    The RVF is missing SF because for one with a half decent engine you'd be looking at 3k+ whereas you can get a decent baby blade for about 1.2k and a VFR for about 1.9k
    etc.etc. and tbh i'm not that keen on the looks either

Will go on 400greybike at the weekend and have a look see!

8. Re: 400s?! 
    Platinum Member
    LOVED my Triarm.... solid build, HOWLED up to a 14,500 redline, would easily keep up with litre-bikes!

One of the original big-bike-baiters, LOTS will have been on track at some point so check for lockwire, drilled sump-plugs etc...

Only sold it as I wanted a Doocat - also something a bit more pillion friendly.

RVF's are FILTH. 8-)

The CBR's are arguably easier to work on being an inline 4-cylinder, the VFR's are a NIGHTMARE to change plugs on unless you are eight-years old or have two elbows per arm? Also a tad heavier due to the engine design, the V4 of the VFR's will however give you a bit more bottom end pull & an EPIC exhaust note! Both the Triarms & the VFR NC30's have gear-driven cams which will whistle at high revs in a turbo-stylee

9. Re: 400s?! 
    Platinum Member
    Have to say i had the Rvf nc35 and what a bike that is, great cornering ability and plenty enough speed to keep up with bigger bikes. My mate had a tunned vfr 400 and that was a great little bike too.

10. Re: 400s?! 
    The FZR and ZXR were both sold officially in the UK at some point and so parts are easier to locate.

Regardless of how good these things are (a mate had a VFR400 in the mid 90s), most are now getting on. They were also often owned by novices who thrashed them unmercilessly. In the 90s when insuranced worked differently (much more on CC than outright statistical risk), they were popular due to the high performance but low insurance cost - this may not hold so true now, as insurance companies know that they are likely to be written-off easily as parts are scarce/expensive.

Nothing wrong with a good one - many are getting sought-after/collectable, but for a fixer-upper with plenty of parts on fleabay, you are far better off with an early noughties 600/750 for the same money.

HTH