Notices

Thread: Insurance - huge drop!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Insurance - huge drop! 
    Diamond Member
    Just done my renewal for next year.

Premium has dropped from £485 (with MCE), down to £123 (with Bennetts).

My renewal quote with MCE was going to be £477 so it was definately worth 'comparing the meerkat'. Especially since my new cuddly meerkat toy is currently on its way to me! ;D

2. Re: Insurance - huge drop! 
    Platinum Member
    Well at least Rolo will have a new soft toy to play with

3. Re: Insurance - huge drop! 
    Diamond Member
    He's not getting his teeth/paws on my meerkat! lol

He's destroyed enough of our cuddly toys already! ;D

4. Re: Insurance - huge drop! 
    Not selling up now?
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

5. Re: Insurance - huge drop! 
    Yeowch, why was it so high to start with
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

6. Re: Insurance - huge drop! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja_richie
    Not selling up now?
    Nah. I went out for a ride after I had advertised it, and decided I couldn't bear to part with it. I'd rather wait until I can afford to buy a seperate off roader and have both, than sell one to fund the other as inevitably, I'd end up spending any extra I made and then not being able to afford a half decent road bike again next spring.

So I've done a complete overhaul on it. Have sent shhock off for full service/re-build/powdercoat, done a full service (coolant, oil & plugs) and will be doing the brakes shortly as well with braided lines and higher rated pads as that's the only area that makes the bike feel dated.

Now I have a company car, I don't need to make sure my bike is on the road all the time so I can afford to have it up on the stands for a bit while I sort it.

@Loops - assume that's because it was 1st year on a bigger bike. I now have a years no claims, my mileage will be a lot less as i hav a car now. Also, I've done Bikesafe in the meantime which gave a small discount.

7. Re: Insurance - huge drop! 
    Banned
    Let me know how that shock overhaul goes, I might get one done over winter and don't have any experience of firms doing them

Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    [quote author=ninja_richie link=1318421385/3#3 date=1318428299]Not selling up now?
    Nah. I went out for a ride after I had advertised it, and decided I couldn't bear to part with it. I'd rather wait until I can afford to buy a seperate off roader and have both, than sell one to fund the other as inevitably, I'd end up spending any extra I made and then not being able to afford a half decent road bike again next spring.

So I've done a complete overhaul on it. Have sent shhock off for full service/re-build/powdercoat, done a full service (coolant, oil & plugs) and will be doing the brakes shortly as well with braided lines and higher rated pads as that's the only area that makes the bike feel dated.

Now I have a company car, I don't need to make sure my bike is on the road all the time so I can afford to have it up on the stands for a bit while I sort it.

@Loops - assume that's because it was 1st year on a bigger bike. I now have a years no claims, my mileage will be a lot less as i hav a car now. Also, I've done Bikesafe in the meantime which gave a small discount.[/quote]

8. Re: Insurance - huge drop! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by njl
    Let me know how that shock overhaul goes, I might get one done over winter and don't have any experience of firms doing them
    I've used a company based in York, called Reactive Suspension - http://www.reactivesuspension.com/services.php

The service is costing £130, plus £25 for the spring powdercoating. The old spring was looking minging and rusty but will hopefully come back looking like a brand new one, with all the damping etc actually working for a change. Should shave at least no seconds off my pitiful lap times at coombe! ;D

It looked disgusting when it went off, I'll post a pic up when it's back, but their prices were the best to include the spring work as well. If you just want service only then JHS in Bristol were the cheapest I found at £120 - http://www.jhsracing.co.uk/suspension.htm plus you can deliver it yourself to save the £20 postage!

A few peeps on here recommended MH Racing in Wiltshire - they were by far the most expensive for servicing, however when it comes back and it's re-fitted, I'll go in there to get it all set up properly for me.

9. Re: Insurance - huge drop! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by njl
    Nick - fantastic service. The shock has come back looking brand new, and has completely changed the bike. The company were great and they have set it up for me provisionally based on my height, weight and riding style. Not as good as taking to someone in person, but close enough until I can do that as well.

All in, including full service & re-gas, VAT, spring blast & powdercoat and delivery back, it came to £172.

Now to find a hugger so it doesn't end up back the same way again....

10. Re: Insurance - huge drop! 
    on top of a hugger I can't recommend R&G's Shock Tube highly enough. Just a simple neoprene tube that fits around the shock, waterproof and washable - stops anything getting anywhere near the shock! Think I paid about £23 online
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers