Notices

Thread: gsxr 1100 slingshot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. gsxr 1100 slingshot 
    hi all

i passed my test 1 week ago and now have the above bike is it safe to carry on with this bike or would it be wise to down size to a 600 or so as a first bikes

thanks ;D

2. Re: gsxr 1100 slingshot 
    The bike will be safe, its the rider that will cause the problem....its only as fast as you make it!

3. Re: gsxr 1100 slingshot 
    Great bike but then I'm biased as I have one ; )
    I agree it's the rider not the bike that determines safe or not but have to say not the ideal first big bike IMO. Although off the pace compared to latest one litre+ bikes it's still makes big power & torque, my 35k miles standard bike put out 126 brake at the wheel on a recent dyno run and would have added a bit more if strapped down and forced airflow. Combine this with handling that 'takes a bit of getting used to' and it needs to treated with real respect. The 'killer K' nickname is definitely over hyped but be under no illusion this bike will bite if you get it wrong and when it does you will need a big dose of skill, luck or both to keep it sunny side up!
    Having said all that I've used mine for weekend blasts, touring in both uk and France, two up pootling and the odd track day (even caught some of latest 600's although don't expect to take on experienced track day boys!) and only dodgy moments have been of my own making.
    Run decent tyres, get the suspension serviced, take time to learn how it turns and feedsback and enjoy. You'll certainly get more comments at bike meets than with a modern me too sports bike - if you like that sort of thing.
    Wot colour scheme is yours?

4. Re: gsxr 1100 slingshot 
    Not the easiest bike to learn on, the fact that you've asked this question shows that you've got your head screwed on.
    A more modern bike would be both easier and quicker to ride. It depends what you want to get out of your riding.
    I must admit, an old slab side still turns my head

5. Re: gsxr 1100 slingshot 
    Depends on how you ride it... if you loon around you will soon find the limit of your ability on any bike. If you ride smoothly and in a controlled way you'll be fine. Enjoy it!!!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: gsxr 1100 slingshot 
    Ride it slowly, get used to it and take your time. Ride it in the dry in daylight and then once you are happy then in the wet, night and night and wet. Have a look at the bike safe courses as they do really help.
    You could also ask if you could go out with a riding instructor (Have a word with Mark at Able training)

By the way. Lovely bike.

7. Re: gsxr 1100 slingshot 
    thanks all

think im starting to get the hang of this bike now
    i'll look after my bike and she'll look after me

by the way trev she's the red& black with silver and white stripes the old 1990 look with micron exchaust

8. Re: gsxr 1100 slingshot 
    i've added pic of the bike in the gallery

9. Re: gsxr 1100 slingshot 
    Jeez,
    just clocked this post. Def not a good bike to learn on mate(unless yr mega confident & learn to hang off PDQ!) They are quick to drop into corners due to being top heavy & are a real front endie sort of bike. They need conmmitment to get the best out of 'em. I've been riding one for 19yrs, so that might qualify me to comment.
    Having said that, they are a great bike!

10. Re: gsxr 1100 slingshot 
    hi

im already getting use to this baby getting here nicely tucked in on corners and getting used to shere power she has

ill be fine with her

like every has has already commented its not the bike but the rider