Notices

Thread: A decent set of winter gloves?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: A decent set of winter gloves? 
    I've also added a set of Acerbis hand guards to the CG - not the most stylish look but they help keep some of the wind and rain off. I would get back from a wet ride and my fingers would still be dry as they've been sheltered.
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

2. Re: A decent set of winter gloves? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    Alplnestars.... The best I've ever had. Warm, waterproof and comfortable.

Em has Frank Thomas an she says the same about them.
    Thanks Jon, are yours the 365 or another alpinestars type?

3. Re: A decent set of winter gloves? 
    After further looking into muffs, I'm going to leave them on the back burner for now as a few people mentioned the air pressing against the mitts and onto the Clutch & Brake leavers...

More reading and browsing today I think! 8-)
    '12 NC700X

4. Re: A decent set of winter gloves? 
    Platinum Member
    Go and buy yourself some silk liner gloves - if it's good enough for the Himalayas - it'll work in the UK.

5. Re: A decent set of winter gloves? 
    Quote Originally Posted by kdxgsxmt
    [quote author=Jon_W link=1320060459/3#3 date=1320068128]Alplnestars.... The best I've ever had. Warm, waterproof and comfortable.

Em has Frank Thomas an she says the same about them.
    Thanks Jon, are yours the 365 or another alpinestars type?[/quote]

Will have a look.... they are old and well worn, I know that!!!!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: A decent set of winter gloves? 
    Platinum Member
    Ash if you want to have a loan of the Oxford Muffs let me know.

What you read about the muffs pressing on the leavers is correct, about 70mph and my clutch lever presses in enough to cause it to slip. As I only tend to use them when the temperature is below 3 degrees I try to keep to 60mph to keep wind chill down so this is not a problem.

The other thing you might find on your bike is they limit the movement of the handle bars at they will touch the plastics on full lock.

The other problem I get with mine is they sometimes knock the kill switch, so I tape this in the run position when using muffs.

I don’t use expensive gloves to commute; instead I alternate between about 4 pairs so I always have dry hands when I set off. My experience is all gloves leak in the end it is just the more expensive ones take longer to get to that point.

I also find silk gloves good

I have never used Handle bar heaters but this is another option to look at

7. Re: A decent set of winter gloves? 
    I'm in the same boat here, went out yesterday evening and can only just feel my hands now. What are the heated gloves like in reality?

8. Re: A decent set of winter gloves? 
    Platinum Member
    One of the best winter gloves out there at the moment http://www.getgeared.co.uk/HELD_2944...p;category=139

9. Re: A decent set of winter gloves? 
    Thanks Taffy,

I'll see how I go for now, still haven't as yet quite need to get anything warmers I'm happy with my Leather summer gloves and a liner until about 6 degrees for my commute (11.9 miles on the A419 in Swindon, I should just man it out really!
    '12 NC700X

10. Re: A decent set of winter gloves? 
    Quote Originally Posted by House
    I'm in the same boat here, went out yesterday evening and can only just feel my hands now. What are the heated gloves like in reality?
    Some years ago I used to commute Bristol/London regularly in the middle of winter - after testing various solutions including muffs, heated grips - only heated gloves actually delivered...

Muffs - good for round town - but not so good for the motorway - press on the levers at speed...

Heated grips - are just like the emporers new clothes - its the outside of your grip that gets cold - not the inside - don't go there.

Heated gloves with heating elements on the outside of your grip - will keep your hands happy even in frosty conditions for hour after hour... I highly reccomend...