Notices

Thread: California Superbike School Group Booking

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: California Superbike School Group Booking 
    Diamond Member
    Did you get much take up in the end on this Scotty?

Just wondering how it would compare to doing the elite session at Ron Haslma, as for almost the same money, you get a hire bike, a full day of sessions, 121 instruction and complete data logging...

Perhaps that would be worth an ask round if this doesn't come off?

2. Re: California Superbike School Group Booking 
    Well, seeing as the only name on the participants list so far is mine, draw your own conclusions. Doug's going to mention it at the OMCC monthly meeting this evening and it'll be interesting to see whether the club committee are prepared to subsidise the cost to an extent - Doug reckons that it's likely as it is actually training. Watch this space.

I think that when Basil did the RH elite class he was only there for half a day. Having studied both schools in action I prefer CSS, but if you want to do RH, fill yer boots.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

3. Re: California Superbike School Group Booking 
    Platinum Member
    Having done CSS level 1 I would definitely go back - so i'm happy to be added to the list whether its via WB/OMCC or a mixture of the two.

In comparison to the RH school, personally I much preferred CSS as it is better value for money, but that's just my opinion

4. Re: California Superbike School Group Booking 
    Without wishing to cause offence etc by having a differing opinion to previous posters:

Comparing The Ron Haslam School and CSS is a bit like comparing apples and pears though this is not helped by the RH title as is most definitely not a race school.

It's primary purpose is a kind of "my first track day" and as such I believe it offers great value as all the kit is provided and you don't pay anything if you bin it. Ask Don.

If after your 1st RH experience you find that actually you quite like this track riding lark then you can go out and get yourself a track bike and kick my ass. Again ask Don.

If you have done any kind of track days before I would agree with Scotty that it's value is greatly diminished and I would not recommend it for progressing beyond that first track day experience as you will be frustrated by the lack of tracktime and the inability to ride at your own pace and improve your riding.

The above are my opinions and are hopefully neither offensive or abusive but you can never tell, even if there is no intent. :-/

5. Re: California Superbike School Group Booking 
    Diamond Member
    Lol, I love the fact that we're all putting in 'no offence disclaimers' now!

People can be so quick to take it where there is none meant, and some just do it to cause a fuss.

But yours and Scotty's points are good. Maybe CSS will be an option in the future then. In the meantime, I'll settle for the free instructors at the track days I'll do next year!

Thanks for the advice both

6. Re: California Superbike School Group Booking 
    Diamond Member
    Dear Mr Moo,
    I agree about your summing up of the Ron Haslam day, although I’m sure the Elite day is better. But I found they day we went on a little disappointing due to the time we had both on track and talking to the instructors.
    As you said, a “Race School” it isn’t, or at least not the first package.

Saying that the bike was a revelation and went most of the way to persuading me to buy a modern IL4 and selling the VTwin SV.

I’d love to do the CSS, and am holding off until I see what the OMCC do, but even if it drops to £300 it’s still a lot of money for me.

G

Disclaimer: without limitation, this is not intended to be, nor should it be construed or deemed to be, in any way, the stirring of any receptacle, pot or otherwise, whether in a clockwise or anti-clockwise motion nor the incitement of anything other than a private chuckle and perhaps the wry raising of an eye brow (Thanks A.J)

7. Re: California Superbike School Group Booking 
    Having seen Basil's paperwork from the Elite day, it's much more focussed. His 1-on-1 instruction knocked about 12 seconds off a lap and they use gadgets galore to monitor speed, acceleration, braking and gear selection at all times during the lap, and then pinpoint what to do next time round. Perfect if you want to be able to do an awesome lap of silverstone but possibly not so helpful if you won't be riding that track much - I'm not convinced that concentrating on "ok this corner you need this gear on this bike and accellerate to these revs by here" improves overall track riding, but then what do I know!

CSBS sounds bloody brilliant in comparison - teaching transferable skills.

Bought a scratchcard at the weekend, didn't win, so still a no-go for me
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

8. Re: California Superbike School Group Booking 
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    Participants List
    Scotty
    2. Simmsy

I've taken the plunge ... added a post to the forum 8-) ... but also contacted CSS to book a place