Notices

Thread: will my bike be ok if i dont ride it in winter?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Re: will my bike be ok if i dont ride it in winter? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maz
    I've started to notice little pieces of rust on the break disk but its to be expected. Can't wait to get on her again!

Treat her to Nooj's shinny thing, it'll thank you for it

2. Re: will my bike be ok if i dont ride it in winter? 
    Diamond Member
    Also, my sv was out of action for less than a week, and we couldn't start him...Could be cos he's older than the dinosaurs, sure, but the newer one does the same this time of year, they don't seem to like it too cold. Steve has his beast on the optimiserthingy and it's always easy to start, even though the poor boy doesn't see the outside much.

3. Re: will my bike be ok if i dont ride it in winter? 
    my gsxr charges at 14.6V @ idle............but then again i do eat reg/recs for a living so it may not be correct

4. Re: will my bike be ok if i dont ride it in winter? 
    Rust on disc brakes is easy to fix, just spray with plenty of WD 40, or rub with a low viscosity engine oil............................................... ................................................ON LY JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :

5. Re: will my bike be ok if i dont ride it in winter? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkill_The_Tall
    [quote author=billinom8 link=1323156488/12#12 date=1323196637][quote author=spudgun link=1323156488/5#5 date=1323174104]If you can't use an optimate, just start the bike up every other weekend and let it tick over for ten minutes, should charge the battery and let the fluids move around the engine etc.

Or take the battery off for the winter and store it indoors

actually that won't charge the battery, on most bikes the charging circuit doesn't become active until around 5000 rpm.......

remove the battery and keep it in the house

[/quote]

Not actually true regarding not charging.
    To prove it, put a meter across the batery terminals with the motor turned off - you'll get about 11.5 volts.
    Start the motor and run it at idle then meter the battery again - it'll show between 14 and 15 volts, assuming your charging circuit it working properly.

Even if you remove your battery and store it inside, a battery will naturally self discharge itself to destruction after about 3 months.

The best method bar none is to stick the battery on a battery tender (Optimate, Oxford, Accumen, etc ).
    Don't use a 'trickle charger' as you'll run the risk of slowly cooking the cells.

Best method of all is to ride it on those crisp, dry winter days, as long as there's not too much salt about and put the grin back on yer face

[/quote]

The issue with starting the bike for a short period is twofold. First it takes almost ten minuites of riding to re-gain the charge lost through starting and second running the engine of short periods is bad for engine condition. As to disconnecting the battery, In my expierence a battery will last years sat disconnected as long as the ambient temperature is constant.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"