Notices

Thread: Tinted visors

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Re: Tinted visors 
    I use a dark visor in the summer, and a tinted one this time of year. I find the dark visors are too dark for this time of year (and yes I know they're not kosher as regards the law). Having had advice from the horses mouth (PC Williamson), even he said he's not interested in someone wearing a dark visor, unless they're stupid enough to ride at night. The primary visor must conform to the law, but the inner visor (whether it be an insert or secondary visor) can be as dark as you want. The secondary visors in most helmets distort your vision, I find. Caberg, for example, used to give me a headache. The dark inserts are a good idea, but need to be squeaky clean when being fitted. So it's not something I want to be taking in and out all the time. My answer is to always carry a clear visor with me. It's not a faff to change over, only taking about 30 seconds on a Shoei. Visor bum bags, or stashing it under your seat, would seem to be the answer to me...
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

2. Re: Tinted visors 
    I use tinted visors most of the time, and have never had any trouble most are stamped daytime use only unless you are wearing a race visor, which usually are darker but will be marked- not shatterproof.

3. Re: Tinted visors 
    I had a legal tinted visor on a previous hat. Found it fine in all but the brightest of sunshine.

As with Wes, use road ones.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

4. Re: Tinted visors 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    Having had advice from the horses mouth (PC Williamson), even he said he's not interested in someone wearing a dark visor, unless they're stupid enough to ride at night.
    PC Williamson is only interested in 5mm difference on numbers & letters on plates!! (not sure he speaks from horses mouth though, I thought it was from somewhere else when I had a 'chat' with him! ;D)

Regarding visors, I have Shoei with clear visor and dark inset for the pinlock..works a treat!

Roxy x

5. Re: Tinted visors 
    Quote Originally Posted by roxychick
    [quote author=Mark_Able link=1326190039/20#20 date=1326226210]Having had advice from the horses mouth (PC Williamson), even he said he's not interested in someone wearing a dark visor, unless they're stupid enough to ride at night.
    PC Williamson is only interested in 5mm difference on numbers & letters on plates!! (not sure he speaks from horses mouth though, I thought it was from somewhere else when I had a 'chat' with him! ;D)

Regarding visors, I have Shoei with clear visor and dark inset for the pinlock..works a treat!

Roxy x[/quote]

Easy answer, full sized number plate and dark visor. Williamson problem solved!!!! ;D
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: Tinted visors 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    [quote author=roxychick link=1326190039/23#23 date=1326278508][quote author=Mark_Able link=1326190039/20#20 date=1326226210]Having had advice from the horses mouth (PC Williamson), even he said he's not interested in someone wearing a dark visor, unless they're stupid enough to ride at night.

Roxy x[/quote]

Easy answer, full sized number plate and dark visor. Williamson problem solved!!!! ;D[/quote]

Nah... that's far too boring and sensible! (but yes it's is the easy answer! ;D)

Roxy x

7. Re: Tinted visors 
    Platinum Member
    I have 2 visors.
    One is clear but pinlock ready - with a clear insert for bad weather; the other visor I have is a legal light smoke ( also pinlock ready )

When it's sunny I use the smoke visor and a dark insert that I have.

I also have a light reactive insert however, I am mindful of how fast it changes it's tint when travelling in variable light conditions.

These are the options that I have.....

8. Re: Tinted visors 
    Alex, I ride with a dark visor most of the time. The best option in my eyes (sorry) nothing worse than bright sunsine and glare. I have a proper visor bag which hangs around my waist (long straps lol) with a clear 1 in for after dark or bad weather.

Just got a new lid with pinlock but not sure about that yet. The website below give away visor bags with new visors (Arai anyway)

http://www.racevisors.co.uk/

So just a quick thought.... Why do most of the bike shops (Fowlers stand up) refuse to sell dark visors when in fact they are not illegal at all (only at night) but will sell a race pipe????
    Been riding longer than I can remember....But still enjoying it.

9. Re: Tinted visors 
    As already mentioned, technically they're illegal if they are too dark, but I've always ridden with one in bright sunlight and carry a clear one around with me. Youre unlikely to get too much stick from Traffic for it (and most non-traffic won't even notice) but it is down to the officers discretion at the time, guidance or otherwise they can still stick you on if they wish. I've never known a traffic officer who would stick someone on for wearing one during daylight hours though. All IMHO only of course