Notices

Thread: MUD AND MUCK ON ROADS FROM FARMS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: MUD AND MUCK ON ROADS FROM FARMS 
    Totally agree with all your comments, but it does us no good shouting about it on the forum. Maybe if we all reported it in the official way something may get done?
    Here is the web site to report mud on the road, plus other information wiltshire.gov.uk/parkingtransportandstreets/roadshighwayspavements/reportahighwayproblem/mudonthehighway
    Volume reporting/campaigning should make Wiltshire Council listen or would it be a death that makes them react!! We should try the reporting route before someone does get seriously hurt or worse!!
    I've done it and Wessex Water have been made to clean a road near Calne

2. Re: MUD AND MUCK ON ROADS FROM FARMS 
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosbie
    [quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1326877329/8#8 date=1326896990]
    You are absolutely right.
    Deaths from small numberplates and loud exhausts are an unnecessary waste of life that can be easily avoided.
    C'mon people stop this madness!
    I think what Rossio is getting at is a law is a law and we should all abide by them. Though i agree with you it is madness that it is very likely more people are fined each year for having non compliant plates/exhausts etc than those leaving excessive debris on the public roads which is clearly a danger to everyone regardless of sensible speeds where as exhausts are more of a noise issue which to be fair the council don’t comply with after sending highways repairmen round to resurface the road directly outside my house for 4 nights in a row stating at 6.30pm and finishing at 2:30 am (i hasten to add they were still using extremely heavy machinery at 2:00am making my sash window locks loosen through vibration) Apparently the council don’t have a problem with this as they were minimising disruption to traffic at peak times..... > > > yes that is 3 angry faces! sorry for the rant.

So why should we have quiet exhausts!lol[/quote]
    Yeah i kinda got that but thanks for the heads up :
    I'm also guessing he has no sense of irony as he has just proved my point about farm workers not being compliant in matters like this.
    He could've easily said that the farming comunity is working closely with the highways agency to weed out the few people who are giving everyone else a bad name and how people only notice when the road is a mess and don't notice when a farmer has cleaned up after themselves and give them credit.
    Instead he went down the "everyone else is doing it so why can't we" route. Then tried to blame road users for any accidents they have as a result of a farmers negligence. I don't see why we should have to pick up the slack just because someone can't do their job properly.

3. Re: MUD AND MUCK ON ROADS FROM FARMS 
    Sorry cant post links yet (forum Rules)
    If a long standing member could add it to their thread. Or just look it up on the Wiltshire Council web site under CLARENCE.
    Alan :'(

4. Re: MUD AND MUCK ON ROADS FROM FARMS 
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish
    Sorry cant post links yet (forum Rules)
    If a long standing member could add it to their thread. Or just look it up on the Wiltshire Council web site under CLARENCE.
    Alan :'(
    http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/parkingt...ayguidance.htm

What you MUST do:
    Do everything possible to prevent mud being deposited on the road. This includes cleaning mud from vehicles, as far as practicable, before they are taken onto the road. The fact that cleaning mud off tractors and attachments is commercially inconvenient may not be a defence in law.
    Only use signs that are authorised. The recommended sign shows the ‘Slippery Road’ triangle with ‘Mud on Road’ sub plate. If appropriate, the ‘Men at Work’ sign should be used. Signs must be at least 750mm.. Make sure they are positioned to give maximum visibility and warning to other road users.
    Clean the road as necessary during the working day and always at the end of the working day.
    Ensure that labour and equipment is available and is suitable for the soil and weather conditions present.
    Where a contractor is used, ensure that prior agreement is reached on who is responsible for mud on road issues (signage, cleaning etc) and ensure that adequate public liability insurance is in place

No reason for anyone to come across a muddy road unexpectedly then.

5. Re: MUD AND MUCK ON ROADS FROM FARMS 
    Platinum Member
    No reason for anyone to come across a muddy road unexpectedly then.
    Meanwhile back in the real world where spillages occur, it would be a good idea to be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear then you won't be coming up anything that's in front of you unexpectedly.

6. Re: MUD AND MUCK ON ROADS FROM FARMS 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    [quote author=Crosbie link=1326877329/9#9 date=1326900631][quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1326877329/8#8 date=1326896990]
    You are absolutely right.
    Deaths from small numberplates and loud exhausts are an unnecessary waste of life that can be easily avoided.
    C'mon people stop this madness!
    I think what Rossio is getting at is a law is a law and we should all abide by them. Though i agree with you it is madness that it is very likely more people are fined each year for having non compliant plates/exhausts etc than those leaving excessive debris on the public roads which is clearly a danger to everyone regardless of sensible speeds where as exhausts are more of a noise issue which to be fair the council don’t comply with after sending highways repairmen round to resurface the road directly outside my house for 4 nights in a row stating at 6.30pm and finishing at 2:30 am (i hasten to add they were still using extremely heavy machinery at 2:00am making my sash window locks loosen through vibration) Apparently the council don’t have a problem with this as they were minimising disruption to traffic at peak times..... > > > yes that is 3 angry faces! sorry for the rant.

So why should we have quiet exhausts!lol[/quote]
    Yeah i kinda got that but thanks for the heads up :
    I'm also guessing he has no sense of irony as he has just proved my point about farm workers not being compliant in matters like this.
    He could've easily said that the farming comunity is working closely with the highways agency to weed out the few people who are giving everyone else a bad name and how people only notice when the road is a mess and don't notice when a farmer has cleaned up after themselves and give them credit.
    Instead he went down the "everyone else is doing it so why can't we" route. Then tried to blame road users for any accidents they have as a result of a farmers negligence. I don't see why we should have to pick up the slack just because someone can't do their job properly.[/quote]

okay, so your going to thank us for waiting for the frost before we start muck cart to minimise the mess we make?? No? didnt think so, The point i am making is that in reality you can not keep all the mud off the road,seems logical really a 6+ ton machine driving on mud....hmmmm dont think that one needs explaning, its nothing about having a chip on anyones shoulder its all about reality abd the time in wich these jobs need doing, not all of us do a 9 til 5 and have all day to drink t, im not going to argue about it with you but if you did understand "the industry" maybe youd understand, after all you eat right! I think you will also find there are alot more deaths within agriculture than someone slipping on mud because of it,
    Back on topic, if you are concerned about mud on a road, approach the farm in question and just say, going straight thru the council will upset farmers and the problem could get worse,

7. Re: MUD AND MUCK ON ROADS FROM FARMS 
    "....going straight thru the council will upset farmers and the problem could get worse"

Bit of a threat there, tell on me and I'll do it all the more?

8. Re: MUD AND MUCK ON ROADS FROM FARMS 
    not a threat no, but thanks for your input :

9. Re: MUD AND MUCK ON ROADS FROM FARMS 
    I think the question is one of individual pride. I hate living in a sh*t hole and constantly have to keep the front of the house clear of litter dropped by others in the road (wrappers, bottles, fag buts, kebab boxes, etc). My point is if everyone cleared their own mess, there would be no arguement over law or who to report to because there would not be a problem.

Prehaps I'm being naieve (sorry, I don't know the spelling).
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

10. Re: MUD AND MUCK ON ROADS FROM FARMS 
    That would work. This way, while you're plodding along at 20mph in a nsl area all the cars from the queue behind that have overtaken will clear the mud by the time you get there