Notices

Thread: MUD AND MUCK ON ROADS FROM FARMS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. MUD AND MUCK ON ROADS FROM FARMS 
    Riding into chippenham this morning I was very nearly thrown from my bike when I came across mud on the road from farm tractor's, still don't know how I managed to stay on, so thinking of going to the council with a list of signature's to complain about the mud and muck left on our roads from the farms, arnt they ment to clean up???

2. Re: MUD AND MUCK ON ROADS FROM FARMS 
    I believe they are, but is a hard one to police.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

3. Re: MUD AND MUCK ON ROADS FROM FARMS 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    I believe they are, but is a hard one to police.
    Not if the mud tracks lead from a field to a farm.... :P

4. Re: MUD AND MUCK ON ROADS FROM FARMS 
    I belive their suppost to hose the vehicles off before going onto the road,but few bother.....the stanford in the vale road was shocking this morning,one lorry comes the opposite way and i couldnt see a thing

5. Re: MUD AND MUCK ON ROADS FROM FARMS 
    Same on the road to Devizes over blacklands from Compton Bassett. Take care out there
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

6. Re: MUD AND MUCK ON ROADS FROM FARMS 
    The road from chippenham to sutton benger was a joke yesterday. There was an inch of frozen mud covering the whole lane.
    Farming is an extremely hard job for very little reward but it doesn't mean they should be allowed special treatment.
    I know a lot of farmers and they're all really great people except when it comes to matters like this.
    They all have a chip on their shoulders about being told what to do and that nobody else understands because they're not in the industry.
    They're out of touch with the rest of society and need to be brought up-to-date.
    The police need to come down hard on them spreading mud on roads and vehicles and trailers without light boards or numberplates.

7. Re: MUD AND MUCK ON ROADS FROM FARMS 
    Diamond Member
    The Highways Act 1980, the Water Resources Act 1991 (in relation to anti-pollution notices) and the law of public nuisance all have provisions relating to mud on the road.

Even mud from vehicles not belonging to the landowner, for example, a contractor spreading muck on the fields or a milk tanker can still be the landowner’s responsibility, if the mud came off their land and they knew about the mud and could have prevented it or cleared it up.

Farmers and landowners are advised to make sure that they have appropriate Public Liability insurance cover in place should the worst happen.

8. Re: MUD AND MUCK ON ROADS FROM FARMS 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    The police need to come down hard on them spreading mud on roads and vehicles and trailers without light boards or numberplates.
    Yet when a biker has a number plate that is too small or an exhaust that is too loud and get done for it, they can cry bitch and winge about it for weeks even tho its their fault? maybe there should be a law brought in that we av to pull a water tanker around behind the tractor just to make sure the wheels are spotless for bikers, don worry about other hazards like horses pedestrians cats dogs and kids eh, if you cant see whats around the next bend......slow down!

9. Re: MUD AND MUCK ON ROADS FROM FARMS 
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossio
    [quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1326877329/5#5 date=1326889836]
    Yet when a biker has a number plate that is too small or an exhaust that is too loud and get done for it, they can cry bitch and winge about it for weeks even tho its their fault? maybe there should be a law brought in that we av to pull a water tanker around behind the tractor just to make sure the wheels are spotless for bikers, don worry about other hazards like horses pedestrians cats dogs and kids eh, if you cant see whats around the next bend......slow down![/quote]
    You are absolutely right.
    Deaths from small numberplates and loud exhausts are an unnecessary waste of life that can be easily avoided.
    C'mon people stop this madness!

10. Re: MUD AND MUCK ON ROADS FROM FARMS 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    You are absolutely right.
    Deaths from small numberplates and loud exhausts are an unnecessary waste of life that can be easily avoided.
    C'mon people stop this madness!
    I think what Rossio is getting at is a law is a law and we should all abide by them. Though i agree with you it is madness that it is very likely more people are fined each year for having non compliant plates/exhausts etc than those leaving excessive debris on the public roads which is clearly a danger to everyone regardless of sensible speeds where as exhausts are more of a noise issue which to be fair the council don’t comply with after sending highways repairmen round to resurface the road directly outside my house for 4 nights in a row stating at 6.30pm and finishing at 2:30 am (i hasten to add they were still using extremely heavy machinery at 2:00am making my sash window locks loosen through vibration) Apparently the council don’t have a problem with this as they were minimising disruption to traffic at peak times..... > > > yes that is 3 angry faces! sorry for the rant.

So why should we have quiet exhausts!lol