Notices

Thread: Crashes/offs

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Crashes/offs 
    Platinum Member
    Thought it'd be nice to see how many of you have had crashes/offs either your fault or someone else's. Any crashes (on the roads, not off-roading) you've had post em up so we can both laugh at the stupid ones and learn from others mistakes :]
    I'll start it off, annoyingly i've had 3 offs in my short biking career so far.

First was about 3 months after passing my CBT, was filtering down a fairly busy street and as i came round a bus there was a car in front of me, was only going maybe 15 mph and damage to me and the bike was minimal. After a very long drawn out insurance claim which i was told i had a very good case for... my insurance company paid out despite me having quoted about 10 things from the highway code that proved it was either her (the car drivers) or the bus drivers fault and not mine

Second was on my way to work about 6 months ago i would imagine, my back tyre hit a smallest patch of diesel ever, started spinning for a moment and as it regained grip cause the bike to high side. Broke the RH handlebar and indicator and bent the front and rear subframes. Caused a minor Scaphoid fracture in my right wrist, had to wear a wrist brace for a few weeks and it was sorted.

Third was the only one that was my fault, about 3 months ago i would guess was out for a pretty long ride, wasn't too familiar with the roads, came round a fairly gentle corner at probably 70mph ish and found myself faced with a roundabout. There were no signs leading up to it so was caught blissfully unaware.
    Grabbed a handful of break and probably managed to get the speed down to 55-60. I would guess i was going about 50 when i came off.
    Very almost saved it but the edge of my tyre wasn't warm enough to keep it up and the back tyre slid out, Had a lucky escape as both me and the bike slid into a car parking bay next to the roundabout which had enough distance to stop both me and the bike without hitting any solid objects.

2. Re: Crashes/offs 
    i was 19 on a dt125r

following a tourist down back roads of cornwall.....just waiting to get past them......eventually they pulled over, i dropped it a few cogs pulled out around and they opened the door.....bike stopped i landed on car bonnet.
    partially my fault.

again i was 19 on same dtr. following a "friend" who i taught to ride. i caught him up and thought id follow him home.

we took a right hander, he lost control of his bike and smashed into a wall. his bike came at me i hit the brakes.....knwing i wasnt going to stop my speed + the closing speed of his bike. i hit his bike and went straight over the bars head 1st into the wall he had hit.

it was mid summer 11pm. i got up and i removed his bike that somehow landed ontop of him. its a sight i NEVER want to see again.

i was fully kitted up boots trousers jacket gloves lid. he had a lid shorts and a thin top on, u can imagine the mess. (this is were i really learnt my lesson about gearing up) only bad part was my lid chin peice gave out and jammed itself into my cheek. the scars are visiable when i sleep on my face lol

after he was released from hospital 5 weeks later the truth came to pass..........he was drunk as a skunk. (to this day i have never talked to him again)

apart from that never had a off (excluding off roading)

3. Re: Crashes/offs 
    I was 17 riding a restricted CBR600F 97 model

Happened: About a month after passing my test (A2)... blissfully unaware of the traffic coming to a stop in front of me as my eyes were peeled on the sunset over the white horse hills I looked and there they were 10's of stationary cars in front of me.

Grabbing a handful of the front brake and smashing into a car infront at about 30MPH...You could of called it a flying visit!

I wasn't injured but was throw onto the bonnet of the vehicle I hit ( up and over) - The daughter got out of the car she was just Natural Beauty as I crawled around on the floor with smashed b&ll&cks from hitting the fuel tank!

The best place of all it that it happened outside Gable Cross police station in Swindon and the driver of the car I hit was Disqualified from driving due to previous points and no Present MOT and invalidated insurance on the vehicle. ;D

RESULT! another one off the road!
    '12 NC700X

4. Re: Crashes/offs 
    Here goes then chaps.... been riding almost 35 years, motocross and road and have had 2 accidents first was on a GS850 near Slough. Two cars in front of me at traffic lights and had my 15 year old daughter on the back. Cars went and I followed, another car jumped the lights and turned across my path. No time to think just pushed daughter off bike as I was laying it down and went into the front wheel at about 30. Rode bike home and realised when I got there that the front wheel was almost touching block. Driver had no insurance and could not speak English hence being in Slough. Paid out in pound notes, £1800 of them so got another set of forks and sold bike on.
    Accident number 2, roll on about 30 years till summer 2 years ago. Bought myself a 06 Hayabusa on the Saturday, loved it for the whole week. I am a big lad and it was an amazing machine, 17 again, wheelies in most gears and 160 mph etc etc. Anyway out for a ride on Sunday morning, saw in front of me a car towing an horsebox parked at side of road. Stopped on white line and looked at car, lady driver looking across to the shops on her left, no eye contact in mirrors etc. My indicator goes on, checks road ahead, checks mirrors, checks blind spot and does lifesaver, pulls out to overtake, gets past horsebox and she decides to turn into a side road on my right. Wham ........ bike collides with car front corner, bike goes down road, I go across road, up kerb on my back, through a fence and come to rest after breaking a 6 foot concrete planter with my head. Comes back to the real world and stands up, takes off helmet and realises that it is ****ed (Arai St George) throws on to floor and am told that she did not see me in her mirrors so must have been in blind spot. Bike totalled, gear totalled, most of body totalled. Ambulance cut off leathers and boots. Ankle broken, fingers of left hand split apart and the worse gravel rash in the world on my lower back where jacket had ridden up. Crutches, stitches and worst of all bike totalled. Distance covered in a week - 1500 miles. Now almost 2 years later, ankles still ****ed, haematoma ? in lower back needs draining again and I bloody ache!! Horse boxes scare the **** out of me now and I will turn around to avoid the bitches. Now own a VStrom 1000 but I really want another Busa but wife says NO!!

5. Re: Crashes/offs 
    Think most people on here know all about my 'drops' lol......i.e. going to slow going round corners etc......too many to say alot about each one.(Im in double figures now lol)

Best/worst one was trying to do a u-turn for my mod 1 whilst out with our Mark Able..... came off onto a grass verge and landed in a very soft, smelly pile of doggie do's .....hehehe.....and yes I still laugh about it.

My worst one was on the 5 horses (in September) when the crash bar squashed my foot....still have a limp at times but I can drive and ride fine....just walking is a bit of an issue after a while hehe

I have a special account at GM Stevens now and buy my new indicator lens's in bulk to save the hassle of re-ordering all the time.

Needless to say, after my last 'incident' I now carry a spare lens, a screwdriver and tape under my seat (as a precaution of course) hehehe

But I still soldier on and WILL get it right one day 8-) 8-)

I kind of like being the standing joke of the forum and love the fact I have the highest score rate of 'drops' hehehehe

6. Re: Crashes/offs 
    Tina, what about your impressive landing on the roundabout the day we bought my bike and James got his confidence back :P

7. Re: Crashes/offs 
    Only ever had one on the road but it was a beauty.

Traveling south on the western by-pass around Chippenham on my old SRAD I cracked the throttle with a little too much enthusiasm just as the front wheel passed over a series of ripples in the road. In a fraction of a second the bars were going from lock to lock with my hands moving faster than Bruce Lee tying his shoe laces.
    So this is what a tank slapper feels like.

The bike fired across the road with me fighting it all the way straight into the path of an oncoming lorry. The driver swerved right, saving my life, and I shot down his left hand side.
    I was now heading straight for a lampost. The bike hit the grass and spat me off then exploded into the lampost. I somehow ended up back in the road sliding along on my arse while cars swerved around me.

It took me a while to get my confidence back. I played it over and over again in my head, blaming the road, the bike, and a host of other things. It wasn't until I admitted that it was purely down to my riding style that I was able to move on....that and an ohlins steering damper.

8. Re: Crashes/offs 
    Had my fair share when I was young & [s]stupid[/s] naive...

Last 20 years have been smooth though - probably due to the learning curve before...

9. Re: Crashes/offs 
    I'm a bit too new to have had an off yet, but I have dropped the bike whilst taking it off of its centre stand whilst on a slight decline.. That was more embarrassing than anything! :-[ No damage done though, which is good!

10. Re: Crashes/offs 
    My very first one was age 16 on my Suzuki GT50 (a very long time ago) - had only had it a few weeks and just loved riding it everywhere whenever I could. I was leaving the main carpark in Melksham and had to go around a sharp corner, didnt quite realise it wasnt a wise move to open the throttle on a corner even on a 50cc! Thankfully I wasnt going too fast but come down pretty quick and hard, bent the bars and had a few scuffs and scrapes on me and the bike - the worst bit was the embarassment at some old guy asking if I was OK. Needless to say I hopped back on and disappeared off pretty quick, even with bent bars. I did ache the next day. Lesson learnt.