Notices

Thread: L-plate 125ers...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: L-plate 125ers... 
    Does this affect those of us who are restricted now and under 24?
    I will be 24 by the time my restriction comes off

2. Re: L-plate 125ers... 
    Diamond Member
    This latest pending legislation reinforces my view that the powers that be are engaged in a witch-hunt against the motorcycling community. To me it’s clear – catch em when they are young - the more obstacles erected to discourage teenagers from choosing two wheels and consequently, motorcycling accident rates will fall.

As a minority group I don’t believe we carry much clout at the ballot box. Unfortunately, in my personal opinion, some form of long-term concerted non-violent direct action is the only way to put a stop to this witch-hunt. Of course such action will p*ss off large sections of the general public and probably cause resentment, but what is the alternative when you are backed in to a corner?

This new legislation will not have an effect on me personally, but do we do nothing when our way of life is under threat or make a stand to protect motorcycling for future generations?
    :-/

3. Re: L-plate 125ers... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    ...(or Berlin), and is all part of the Third Directive. >
    Sounds more like part of the Third Reich...

4. Re: L-plate 125ers... 
    I agree with Ken in that long-term concerted non-violent direct action is the only way that anything may be achieved. Politically we're minnows, we don't have many friends who will fight our corner for us and the government aren't doing anything noticeable to stem the tide of repressive legislation against motorcycling in general.

We should follow the lead of the FFMC in France and make a nuisance of ourselves with proper actions that will make people sit up and take notice. Who cares about making ourselves unpopular? We aren't popular now anyway so we have nothing to lose but our liberties. Action must be properly organised on a sound basis against legislation that is actually going to be implemented, unlike the recent half-arsed slow ride on the motorways against hi-vis stuff that wasn't being considered by the government in the first place. With the Olympics in town this summer there will be a lot of attention on the UK and the powers that be won't want the boat rocking so it's motorcycling's best opportunity to make a stand and try to prevent the pastime being denied to anyone under the age of 24. Who remembers how much fun they had in their teens and early twenties? I do and it was great, I had very little money but I lived for my bikes and wouldn't have missed it for the world.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

5. Re: L-plate 125ers... 
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    This latest pending legislation reinforces my view that the powers that be are engaged in a witch-hunt against the motorcycling community. To me it’s clear – catch em when they are young - the more obstacles erected to discourage teenagers from choosing two wheels and consequently, motorcycling accident rates will fall.

As a minority group I don’t believe we carry much clout at the ballot box. Unfortunately, in my personal opinion, some form of long-term concerted non-violent direct action is the only way to put a stop to this witch-hunt. Of course such action will p*ss off large sections of the general public and probably cause resentment, but what is the alternative when you are backed in to a corner?

This new legislation will not have an effect on me personally, but do we do nothing when our way of life is under threat or make a stand to protect motorcycling for future generations?
    :-/
    Agreed. The goverment seem to fail to realise that motorcycles are a part of the traffic solution not the problem. All motorists should be encouraged to ride a bike as it decreases the cars on the road, decreases the amount of fuel used and gives them a better understanding of the road.

It is a fact that most car journeys are one person travelling less than ten miles.... surely a sccot can do this for a third of the fuel (and a third the emissions) and take up two thirds less space?
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: L-plate 125ers... 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    With the Olympics in town this summer there will be a lot of attention on the UK and the powers that be won't want the boat rocking so it's motorcycling's best opportunity to make a stand and try to prevent the pastime being denied to anyone under the age of 24.
    I couldn't agree more. It's my understanding however, that this has already been set in stone so I don't think we will be able to change it.

And you won't be able to get into London to make a nuisance. Our delivery fleet has received notice that London is being completely re-routed, the road markings all being re-painted and everything, and it's being made pretty much one way. Even many of the traffic lights are being removed/locations changed to make some kind of slick system to deal with the increased traffic. It's costing them millions to do, and will cost more millions to undo! We've been told we will have to find new delivery routes etc to get supplies to our customers. It's a logistical nightmare!

It's all going to be extremely heavily policed as well, with the police having 'new powers' following the recent riots... Exactly what that means is anyones guess, but I'm sure it's open to interpretation....

7. Re: L-plate 125ers... 
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteW4tcher
    my gf holds a CBT at moment.......she is 27 and was loking to do big test this summer.....does this affect her?
    If she takes her test this summer, it won't affect her. But be prepared for the training schools to be busy, so book early, is my advice.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

8. Re: L-plate 125ers... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazel-nut
    Does this affect those of us who are restricted now and under 24?
    Hazel, it won't affect anyone who has already passed their test. You'll still go unrestricted from two years after passing. It affects anyone taking their test next year.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

9. Re: L-plate 125ers... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    [quote author=Hazel-nut link=1329167936/20#20 date=1329256724]Does this affect those of us who are restricted now and under 24?
    Hazel, it won't affect anyone who has already passed their test. You'll still go unrestricted from two years after passing. It affects anyone taking their test next year. [/quote]

Thanks mark!im glad it doesn't affect me but I do think it's a bit harsh to stop you being allowed to be restricted!its the perfect way to work your way up to a bigger bike!

10. Re: L-plate 125ers... 
    Its bloody disgusting,just a sneaky way of legislating us off the road,if they banned us all together there would be uproar,but if they cut off the supply of young motorcyclists,so the numbers get smaller and smaller,their hopling we wont notice.....
    What would be easier for your average 17 year old,one test and drive any car they want(insurance allowing) or take possibly 7years and several tests before being allowed to ride any bike....!!!!!!