Notices

Thread: First IAM session

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: First IAM session 
    Platinum Member
    I'd like to think that I set out to keep up my IAM test standard each time I get on my bike.
    I'm sure you do aim to do that but as with any skill you care to think of, if you never do any refresher training or re-testing, the chances are that in 5 years time you will have picked up a couple of bad habits without being aware of them. That's just human nature.

If you want to reach a higher standard or check you haven't picked up any bad habits then you have two choices.
    You could voluntarily put yourself forward for the IAM re-test or the IAM special assesment.
    There is nothing stopping you doing this any time you want. All I'm saying is that the majority of IAM members do not put themselves forward for re-testing.
    At Rospa it's mandatory so you don't have a choice if you want to maintain your qualification.
    Not only is it mandatory but it's also free and scheduled which are important factors in making it happen.

Many IAM members think about doing re-testing but don't get round to it (and I am included in that group).

2. Re: First IAM session 
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemma_Nokes
    I'll be keeping a keen eye on this thread as going to start mine when it's warmer
    Don't blame you, not only was it bloody cold yesterday but had to change original route that was planned as roads icy. Still a decent first session though, looking forward to the next in two weeks time but need to put some miles in on the bike (yes I'm one of those that uses a car for work most of the time) and some hours in on the reading - I know which will take preference

3. Re: First IAM session 
    'Appropriate use of speed' when it comes to over-taking. My preferred method is to do it as quickly as possible (then return to the speed limit), but there maybe circumstances where it's not warranted. For example, a long straight road with no side turnings, an old codger bimbling along at 35mph in a National, why would you need to exceed the limit? Then again, a short stretch of clear straight where an over-take is possible, but you need to nail it, then you should do whatever speed it takes to make it past safely. Or maybe three cars evenly spread along a reasonable straight, should be done as quickly as possible, and all three should be taken, otherwise it's not worth going for an over-take in the first place (no point over-taking one, and sitting behind the other two, nothing gained).
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

4. Re: First IAM session 
    I took my test last year i got a lot from it i would recommend it to anyone.

5. Re: First IAM session 
    Platinum Member
    but you need to nail it, then you should do whatever speed it takes to make it past safely
    Sorry if this is stating the obvious but you can't do "whatever" speed on a test and expect to pass.
    If excessing speed is required (compared to the limit) then you need to forego the overtake as the examiners from these organisations cannot condone excessive speeding.

Of course if you go on a rideout you'll see very few people sticking to the national speed limits (otherwise known as GLF - go like f***) but plenty of people sticking to good and safe practice as you describe.

6. Re: First IAM session 
    i should add when i done my first test ( and failed for too quick ) i had the examiner behind me and the cheif examiner examining him ! so he could not cut any slack - done a day with mark kimpton ( dsa enhanced rider scheme won at c / coome as prize 2010 ) he knows his stuff - would agree top up/refresher training no bad thing

7. Re: First IAM session 
    Platinum Member
    i had the examiner behind me and the cheif examiner examining him ! so he could not cut any slack
    You're not the only person to have failed in this circumstance.

I know a few people who've failed their IAM test and they are all very good riders.

BTW - IAM re-test after failure is £65, Rospa is free.
    If you are dissatisfied with your grade on Rospa then you can re-take for £30 (or wait 3 years).

8. Re: First IAM session 
    ummm just to be clear - did pass on second time and on the dsa rider appraisal - band a on all categories - so happy enough - but not so cocky as to think i know it all - know there are better riders than me - happy to learn to stay sharpe/alive

9. Re: First IAM session 
    I completed my test last December and would recommend this to anyone, but especially less experienced riders like me. The comment that it is important that you are happy with your observer is also very true, I had a couple of observers due to a period of illness extending the training; both were very pleasant but one was considerably more experienced than the other. There are definitely varying standards but as they are all volunteers I guess that is inevitable. I certainly consider it was money well spent.

10. Re: First IAM session 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    but you need to nail it, then you should do whatever speed it takes to make it past safely
    Sorry if this is stating the obvious but you can't do "whatever" speed on a test and expect to pass.
    If excessing speed is required (compared to the limit) then you need to forego the overtake as the examiners from these organisations cannot condone excessive speeding.

Of course if you go on a rideout you'll see very few people sticking to the national speed limits (otherwise known as GLF - go like f***) but plenty of people sticking to good and safe practice as you describe.
    Looking at my speedo on an overtake is not something I'd be in the habit of doing. Regardless of whether either RoSPA or IAM or DSA approve of 'excessive' speed during an overtake is rather missing the point. An overtake should be done safely, regardless of speed. Otherwise, what would you regard as an acceptable limit when exceeding the speed limit? Going by the letter of the law, exceeding the limit under any circumstances is not acceptable. But that is not the point. These groups are meant to be promoting 'safe' riding, therefore limits should not come into the equation. The safest overtake is a quick overtake. To say these groups can not condone 'excessive' speed on an overtake, is contradictory. What they are doing is covering their arses, should someone get nicked for speeding, then stands up in court and says 'IAM said it was ok'. That is not promoting safe riding.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk