My new year's resolution this year is to actually get around to taking my IAM test :-? I actually started my training in 2010, but for various reasons last year (2011) I kept losing momentum and the whole process has been dragged out. I've reached the stage whereas I am about to book my pre-test check ride, so I just need to knuckle down and get focussed ... it would be a shame to get so far and not at least attempt the test ... making good progress is all part of the course

There is no doubt that the IAM training has helped me improve my riding ... especially since I learnt (self taught) to ride a motorbike in the 80's before there was any formal training widely available. I am ashamed to own up to having contributed over the years to the statistics which have since led to the introduction of CBT, mod 1 and mod 2 bike test, etc ... :-[ Even though I haven't "officially" finished the course yet, using the training and knowledge that I have gained I won't be going back to my "old" riding style

My experience are also similar to flat2v2, in as far as when started my training I was marked down after my observed rides because I was sometimes too cautious and didn't take advantage of the flexibility / moveability of a motorbike to attempt safe overtakes ... the resulting consequences of my "self taught style" As my training progressed I then started to lose points for "general constraint". I was making progress but sometimes at the expense of safe and courteous riding, and I continue to learn that there is "fine balance" to achieving a safe progressive ride.

Also, one of my colleagues at work is a senior observer in the Cheltenham group and following a few ride outs after work he has made different observations, so I guess that different observers & examiners are looking out for different things :-/

Those people who have passed the advance test have certainly jumped through many hoops :