The Sex Discrimination act 1975 (‘SDA’) as amended makes it unlawful for a person providing goods, facilities or services to members of the public to directly or indirectly discriminate (or victimize) on the grounds of sex in the provision of such goods, facilities or services. This is regardless of whether or not the goods, facilities or services are provided free of charge. This covers a wide range of public and private services, including pubs, cafes, restaurants, hotels, transport, banking, insurance, hire purchase, recreation and entertainment.

This is the relevant act which relates to the forthcoming parity of insurance premiums for both genders. Despite the fact that motor insurers claim that statistically young male drivers/riders pose a higher risk than females, I personally agree with this new legislation. Premiums should reflect an individual’s (irrespective of gender) driving/riding behaviour, taking in to account factors such as penalty points, accidents and claims, etc.

Interesting, currently, Age Discrimination law (AD) only really covers employment, The Employment Equality (Age) Discrimination Regulations 2006 (the Regulations). However, The EU in consultation with the European Convention on Human Rights is at present considering extending AD law to other areas such as goods, facilities and services.

You are right Ducatista, insurers can discriminate on age at the moment, but I wouldn't bet my mortgage on that changing in the not too distant future.