Notices

Thread: High Insurance

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Re: High Insurance 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 955i_Triple
    Crazy isnt it G! Im going to investigate the policies that allow cars and bikes together on the same one so I only have to do it once! ;D
    That would be great - let me know how you get on.

2. Re: High Insurance 
    Platinum Member
    Will do! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

3. Re: High Insurance 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    [quote author=955i_Triple link=1329817258/10#10 date=1329841483]All insurance is expensive these days due to a number of factors (so they say!) >

I am 38 and have been riding on the road for 22 years and a lot longer off road! I have a multi bike policy, never claimed and have just had the renewal through for this year which is £100 more than last! Go Figure!

I changed last year from Carole Nash to Bennetts because of this very thing and now Bennetts are extracting the urine! I will be shopping around for sure. Always play the companies off against each other as they will move on price to get your business but itll help you a lot to get some no claims under your belt first. They will take you more seriously once you have proven you aren't one of the knobheads that push our premiums up

Good luck!
    I jumped from Carole Nash to Bennetts to BMW and back to Carole Nash again in the last 5 years. They can't seem to get themselves out of this cycle of getting new business with competitive pricing and then upping the price at the first renewal. At least I now have multi bike and multi car policies so I only have to do it twice a year.[/quote]

It's not that they are enticing new customers with a bargain. What they offer is the actual price. They then try and repay your "loyalty" by screwing you over and bumping the price up. This practice is seen in banking (checked how much your ISA is paying lately. Move it) and mobile phone contracts. (every year I threaten to leave and every year they let me set my own tariff) They hope people are too lazy/stupid to shop around.

They've pretty much got you over a barrel on this one. My advice, sell the bike and get something more insurance friendly. It's amazing how quickly the premiums will come down when you've got some NCB.

4. Re: High Insurance 
    Platinum Member
    Women are lower risk than men. That's a fact, not a sexist comment.
    I agree with you about risk, but the European Court of Justice has ruled on it - that's a fact.
    The ruling was about insurance.

But before anyone gets up in arms remember this applies to all insurance not just motor - so it applies to life, health etc.
    In many cases (like health insurance and pension annuities) men will have to subsidise more costly and longer living women, but my point was really to the girls that they may see their motorbike premiums rise.

Annuity rates for men from pensions are likely to get significantly worse because you have to subsidise all the 100+ year old women in their nursing homes.

Personally I don't agree with the judgement.

5. Re: High Insurance 
    Platinum Member
    It might also follow that the governments recent help to get unemployed youngsters into paid work (17-24 year olds) might backfire on them and could be judged as 'age discrimination' - if someone decides to challenge under Human Rights legislation.

6. Re: High Insurance 
    I have an Suzuki sv650 im 51 and only pay £54.00 a year happy days.

7. Re: High Insurance 
    Platinum Member
    could be judged as 'age discrimination'
    It's definitely age disrimination.
    But some forms of discrimination are perfectly legal.
    For example we know very well that insurers can discriminate on age at the moment.
    Not all discrimination is illegal.

if someone decides to challenge under Human Rights legislation
    Yes but it would be fairly pointless because all the government have to do is to change the scheme to qualify it on lack of work experience and most older people will qualify out.

But you are right that it could mean there are more cases along similar lines.

I don't agree with the gender decision but I do think it great that we live in a democracy where ordinary people can challenge these type of things.

8. Re: High Insurance 
    Diamond Member
    The Sex Discrimination act 1975 (‘SDA’) as amended makes it unlawful for a person providing goods, facilities or services to members of the public to directly or indirectly discriminate (or victimize) on the grounds of sex in the provision of such goods, facilities or services. This is regardless of whether or not the goods, facilities or services are provided free of charge. This covers a wide range of public and private services, including pubs, cafes, restaurants, hotels, transport, banking, insurance, hire purchase, recreation and entertainment.

This is the relevant act which relates to the forthcoming parity of insurance premiums for both genders. Despite the fact that motor insurers claim that statistically young male drivers/riders pose a higher risk than females, I personally agree with this new legislation. Premiums should reflect an individual’s (irrespective of gender) driving/riding behaviour, taking in to account factors such as penalty points, accidents and claims, etc.

Interesting, currently, Age Discrimination law (AD) only really covers employment, The Employment Equality (Age) Discrimination Regulations 2006 (the Regulations). However, The EU in consultation with the European Convention on Human Rights is at present considering extending AD law to other areas such as goods, facilities and services.

You are right Ducatista, insurers can discriminate on age at the moment, but I wouldn't bet my mortgage on that changing in the not too distant future.

9. Re: High Insurance 
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    (...) I personally agree with this new legislation. Premiums should reflect an individual’s (irrespective of gender) driving/riding behaviour, taking in to account factors such as penalty points, accidents and claims, etc...
    I just wish this would also apply to age :-/ I'm still under 25 so have to pay a premium on my insurance because of it - this is despite the fact that I have no points, no claims and 7 years NCB, better than some drivers twice my age!

Ash, you'll have to grit your teeth and get through the first year - take it easy and make sure you get your NCB as that makes a big difference. I noticed too that insurance tended to be higher for a restricted bike - some companies class it as a modification and charge accordingly!
    I ended up with a broker in Scotland who only charge me £150 for my CBR600 Third Party only, so you will find decent insurance in the end.
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

10. Re: High Insurance 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lunalupi
    [quote author=monday21 link=1329817258/27#27 date=1329941451](...) I personally agree with this new legislation. Premiums should reflect an individual’s (irrespective of gender) driving/riding behaviour, taking in to account factors such as penalty points, accidents and claims, etc...
    I just wish this would also apply to age :-/ I'm still under 25 so have to pay a premium on my insurance because of it - this is despite the fact that I have no points, no claims and 7 years NCB, better than some drivers twice my age!

Ash, you'll have to grit your teeth and get through the first year - take it easy and make sure you get your NCB as that makes a big difference. I noticed too that insurance tended to be higher for a restricted bike - some companies class it as a modification and charge accordingly!
    I ended up with a broker in Scotland who only charge me £150 for my CBR600 Third Party only, so you will find decent insurance in the end.[/quote]

It will come. Why should a 24 year old who rides/drives with care and with 7 years no claims pay so much more for insurance than a 25 year old with the same? Blatant age discrimination in my view.