Thread: Advanced riding?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Advanced riding? 
    the road craft book is a great read..
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

2. Re: Advanced riding? 
    Platinum Member
    The Police Motorcycle Handbook is definitely a book everyone who rides should read repeatedly. It teaches you a system to road riding that you can use anywhere and on any bike.

Definitely try and get booked in with RoSPA or the IAM. It's not all hi-vis, riding slowly and counter-steering discussions over tea and biscuits (though those that enjoy that kind of thing are catered for). It's about matching your speed to the road conditions so you won't get caught out by silly mistakes, using your eyes and brain to be quick rather than your throttle and putting yourself in the right place on the road for maximum visibility - both to be seen and to see further (and therefore to be safer and quicker).

I personally would go for RoSPA over IAM, they seem more focused and consistent in their training. The best riders I've been out with have consistently been RoSPA trained, and you need to do re-testing every three years to maintain your grade.

Having said that... the IAM customers I get in are saying that some big changes are coming for their organisation, the biggest one being more consistency in their training and testing across the regional sections. They are keen to shed the 'pipe and slippers' image as well.

Either way, any further training is better than none. Bikesafe is a very good taster to get a feel for what further training will consist of.
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

3. Re: Advanced riding? 
    Platinum Member
    does anyone know where I can get help on road craft from?
    The obvious place is from your Rospa tutor who will provide as much 1 to 1 guidance as you need.

Roadcraft is a bit "dry" and only gives you guidelines.
    You need to put it into practice and discuss the scenarios you encouter with your tutor.
    But don't get me wrong we love students who read the books rather than just turn up, but the two go together, you need someone to put the book into a practical context.

the old pennies are a little tight at the moment or I would just go ahead a book my self in and get it all done
    It's only £25 to join Rospa and that includes the book.

The other option if you are a little hesitant is to go for a riding assesement. This is just one session with a tutor but allows you to try it out.
    http://northwiltsroadar.co.uk/north-...ar/assessment/

This is £15 but you'll get a £5 discount on your membership if you go ahead an join.

ANy help would be cracking
    The best thing you can do is JOIN.
    We have tutors available ready to go out with you and provide as much help as you need.
    There are lots of Severn Freewheelers riders at North Wilts Rospa.

BTW - I am also an IAM member and think it's great there is a choice, so I have no issue with whatever group people join, however £25 is a better up front cost than £139 for people who are a bit short of cash.

4. Re: Advanced riding? 
    I've decided, once payday comes around im signing up for the RoSPA membership and start my training.

Think its must as I ride all the time

5. Re: Advanced riding? 
    Platinum Member
    Fantastic

6. Re: Advanced riding? 
    RoSPA seems the best way forward and I like the idea of a re-test every three years so it all keeps fresh in your mind.

Just filled out the application form, wait till payday and ill post it off. can't wait

thank you all for you advice

7. Re: Advanced riding? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    does anyone know where I can get help on road craft from?
    The obvious place is from your Rospa tutor who will provide as much 1 to 1 guidance as you need.

Roadcraft is a bit "dry" and only gives you guidelines.
    You need to put it into practice and discuss the scenarios you encouter with your tutor.
    But don't get me wrong we love students who read the books rather than just turn up, but the two go together, you need someone to put the book into a practical context.

the old pennies are a little tight at the moment or I would just go ahead a book my self in and get it all done
    It's only £25 to join Rospa and that includes the book.

The other option if you are a little hesitant is to go for a riding assesement. This is just one session with a tutor but allows you to try it out.
    http://northwiltsroadar.co.uk/north-...ar/assessment/

This is £15 but you'll get a £5 discount on your membership if you go ahead an join.

The best thing you can do is JOIN.
    We have tutors available ready to go out with you and provide as much help as you need.
    There are lots of Severn Freewheelers riders at North Wilts Rospa.

BTW - I am also an IAM member and think it's great there is a choice, so I have no issue with whatever group people join, however £25 is a better up front cost than £139 for people who are a bit short of cash.
    Would you possibly have a link for ROSPA which covers a bit further South ie Westbury in Wilts?

8. Re: Advanced riding? 
    Platinum Member
    North Wilts has couple of tutors that work in Bath, one in Frome and one in Westbury so although you are on the fringe of our area you would be adequately served by tutors.
    We also have an examiner based in westbury (retired police class 1).

Here's a link to the South West groups but I'm afraid I don't have any inside knowledge on them.
    Note: you some groups are car only, some are bike only and some mixed.

Wherever you go you will be on the fringe of someone's area but you would be fine for tutors/examiners in North Wilts Rospa.

http://www.roada.org/groups/south-west/index.htm

9. Re: Advanced riding? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by garvey2003
    Ok, I would like to undergo my advanced riding. mainly so I can ride for Severn Freewheelers in Swindon but also to improve my skills as I use my bike every day for work.

I've had a look about and RoSPA seems the best option for me due to costs. Sort of pay as you go.

Now before I start paying out for training and memberships, does anyone know where I can get help on road craft from?

I was thinking of maybe videos or a forum online for useful tips and tricks.

Rospa will send you the book once they receiive the cheque ;D
    I, like you, just signed up to be able to volunteer for the freewhelers. Cant wait!

10. Re: Advanced riding? 
    Diamond Member
    OOOOOOOOOOOps, sorry, didn't realise you had reply, Ducatista. I know you're the best when it comes to advanced stuff, so just ignoree me Garvey