Notices

Thread: Advanced riding?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Re: Advanced riding? 
    Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    [quote author=off_again link=1330551143/27#27 date=1331108251]...but as a novice, I am fearful that I am not quite as good as I need.....
    Au contraire O_A, as a novice you'll probably get an awful lot of benefit from doing Bike Safe, you'll learn some really useful things to put into practice before you start developing bad habits. Being a novice the stuff that you learn could be key to you enjoying many years on a bike, rather than coming to a sticky end on account of inexperience, inappropriate enthusiasm and making the wrong choice...[/quote]

Everything else is shyte

2. Re: Advanced riding? 
    Good luck guys! I've got my first shift on the bike starting on the 17th. I went the IAM route, and would highly recomend it to anyone. Although there is no requirement for you to re-test every three years I believe that they do offer a 're-test' service you can take if you want to. The Severn Freewheelers will also ask you to do a ride check every 3 years to make sure your riding is up to scratch as well, even if you have just passed your advanced test they will still take you out on a check ride before letting you sign up on the rota for the first time.

When you guys get that far let me know, they will probably recommend a buddy ride with another rider before you start your first shift, so you follow someone else on your bike to get the idea of how the paperwork works and exactly where to go when you arrive at the hospitals, etc, rather than wander around aimlessly looking for the right door. I'll be happy to buddy up with you.
    Don't get confused between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are...

3. Re: Advanced riding? 
    Platinum Member
    Just to clarify the Iam retest is at additional cost. The rospa retest is included in membership fees so no additional cost.

4. Re: Advanced riding? 
    Diamond Member
    I have been allocated my tutor

5. Re: Advanced riding? 
    Diamond Member
    Went with rospa.

I joined ROSPA to 'get my confidence' back when i returned to biking. I found it very good and my tutor was VERY patient - it seems bike tyres have improved since 1980! I still 'hold back' a bit ( my examiner said i could go faster but how do you do that being followed by a copper!?!, but I feel far more confident now and getting my silver has persuaded my wife to go pillion - well that and now having a bike with a proper pillion seat!
    I would recommend ROSPA - i have not tried IAM though

I recently signed up to the Wiltshire ROSPA group, waiting to start my training

Having done both IAM and RoSPA, there are differences but the main one for me or the one that put me off the IAM was the Salisbury Plain group. I joined Wiltshire RoADAR and have been really pleased i did. Having said that I have friends in WABAM and Solent Advanced Motorcyclists (SAM) who are happy.

I still pay my IAM membership whilst Im an active member of Wiltshire RoADAR.

Whatever you choose it will improve your riding skills, overall speed and most importantly your safety. If my children choose go ride a motorbike I will pay for the advanced training, its so cheap for what you get.

Platinum Member
    If you would like a free assessed ride then you might like to take a look at this (coffee and cake available but not included :-)
    http://wiltshireroadar.co.uk/members...ts/skillshare/

It's the first Saturday of the month - so for June that's the 7th from Divine Cafe in Cherhill.
    You'll be best acommodated (1 to 1) if you reserve a place (on the web form).

Sounds like everyone has picked their groups now, but for anyone else still thinking about it but hesitating due to money, WABAM do offer sponsership when they have available funds. I did mine under an under-30 programme they ran to encourage younger sign-ups, so once I passed my test they refunded the cost of the IAM skill for life package
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...