Notices

Thread: Bike work cost?

1. Bike work cost? 
    I need to get my front right fork resealed and reoiled. I would do it myself but Ive got no idea where to start and how to do it?

Also having trouble with my scott oiler, cant get the nib to stay in the right place, chain is going rusty and being a pain

Also needs MOT soon...and tax!!

2. Re: Bike work cost? 
    Get a haynes manual and go from there..

Best thing with the scottoiler..... ditch it and use a can of lube.

Mot and Tax..... sorry your going to have to pay......
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

3. Re: Bike work cost? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    Get a haynes manual and go from there..

Best thing with the scottoiler..... ditch it and use a can of lube.
    I was tempted with just doing the chain myself, would like to get front/rear axle stands first though. Just so I can lift the back wheel up and let it spin freely!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    Mot and Tax..... sorry your going to have to pay......
    My MOT actually ran out last week, MOT ASAP TIME!!!

4. Re: Bike work cost? 
    Platinum Member
    Fork seals, a bastid, i'd offer, but that's one of the few things i put into the garage for. A correctly fitted Scottoiler is aces, naysayers are heathen, if the nib is coming away, the tube musn't be correctly routed or secured. Google your bike/Scottoiler, usually someone has done it before and posted pics.

5. Re: Bike work cost? 
    Platinum Member
    I can sort your Scottoiler out for you. Once set up correctly, they really are fit-and-forget, most workshops don't seem to be able to do this though :-?
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

6. Re: Bike work cost? 
    Bike is booked in at Phil Stokes westbury after several recommendations on here. Got him to redo fork seals and MOT it. Rest of bike is mechanically sound from what I can tell.. will find out, self repaired the whole front end may last year. Been alright since

And i will take some pics of the scott oiler being a big pig if I can get it back sorted fully. I can only get it in position if its touching the actual chain... but then it just scrapes the gunk of it and clogs up.

7. Re: Bike work cost? 
    Sounds like the Scottoiler end nib isn't bent enough and may be a tad long if touching chain.
    The nib does come out of the pipe... and can be pushed back in after being re-shaped / sized. (you can get replacements if you cut off too much !!!!).

If you run it under hot water to soften it then you can bend it so it touches sprocket just above chain.

As nib too long cut the tip at 45 degrees so the pointy end touches the sprocket.... obviously nib rests against sprocket pointing backwards .. if fitting to touch the lower part of sprocket just above lower chain.
    Ducati Diavel Dark

8. Re: Bike work cost? 
    Hi Ash44, just done my son's GSXR 650 forks with new seals & oil. Fairly easy, we followed the Haynes manual and looked it up on 'youtube' plenty of instructional vid's on there.
    Also made a fork seal driver from Wickes 50mm pipe, worked a treat and sealed first time.

Also, best to do the pair at the same time.

9. Re: Bike work cost? 
    If you mention the scottoiler to Phil he may just be able to sort you out.