Notices

Thread: Music whilst riding

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Music whilst riding 
    Platinum Member
    I pay music sometimes depends on my mood and I dont think it affects my concentration

2. Re: Music whilst riding 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    I play music off my SatNav into a Scala G4 Intercom unit. It has built in sensitivity so adjusts volume according to ambient noise levels. No problem hearing the exhaust, other bikes, sirens etc etc. I don't bother with earplugs either as I have little windnoise to contend with. Horses for courses but maybe I'm rare in being a male who can multitask ;D
    Interesting, I wiki'd multitasking out of interest to see if men really can do it.

Here's an excerpt from it:

Research on human multitasking

Since the 1990s, experimental psychologists have started experiments on the nature and limits of human multitasking. It has been shown multitasking is not as workable as concentrated times. In general, these studies have disclosed that people show severe interference when even very simple tasks are performed at the same time, if both tasks require selecting and producing action (e.g., (Gladstones, Regan & Lee 1989) (Pashler 1994)). Many researchers believe that action planning represents a "bottleneck", which the human brain can only perform one task at a time.[3] Psychiatrist Edward M. Hallowell[4] has gone so far as to describe multitasking as a “mythical activity in which people believe they can perform two or more tasks simultaneously as effectively as one.”

Others have researched multitasking in specific domains, such as learning. Mayer and Moreno [5] have studied the phenomenon of cognitive load in multimedia learning extensively and have concluded that it is difficult, and possibly impossible to learn new information while engaging in multitasking. Junco and Cotten examined how multitasking affects academic success and found that students who engaged in more multitasking reported more problems with their academic work.[6]

Personally, I have enough to contend with just engaging brain while opening mouth.... ;D

3. Re: Music whilst riding 
    Do not listen to music as I would find it distracting but as said previously its personal choice.

4. Re: Music whilst riding 
    personally, i wouldn't listen to music on the bike, its too distracting, i need all my concentration for the road.

5. Re: Music whilst riding 
    I've got a portable DVD player mounted to the tank. Makes long trips fly by. I watched the police academy box set on the way down to Tuscany.

6. Re: Music whilst riding 
    Banned
    I've been thinking of getting a Kimble. It would fit nicely in my map bag but I'm not sure how easy turning the pages would be at 120 mph :-/

7. Re: Music whilst riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    I play music off my SatNav into a Scala G4 Intercom unit.
    Always wondered what you were using your G4 for, as don't know anyone else with one!

I used to listen to music on my 125, and didn't find it distracted me. My brain would automatically stop listening to the music if a crash was imminent/road required my attention, and then resume listening again when the road was clear.

Though never listened to music on my BIG BIKE, as I suppose the road can change very quickly at 60-70mph, (my 125 struggled to do 55) and I do feel it requires my full attention. I do find, however, that I often 'think things through', think about dinner, or how I'm going to spend my evening. So as well as giving me a physical freedom, riding also gives my mind great liberty.

8. Re: Music whilst riding 
    I've never listened to music when riding.. I love the howl of the wind and my zorst!! 8-)
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

9. Re: Music whilst riding 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb
    With a 1700 v-twin thumping under you who needs music.
    Bose I prefer Akropovic
    No music prefer the sound of my bike with a Mivv GP exhaust

10. Re: Music whilst riding 
    I love music but dont like listening to it on my bike either...
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd