Notices

Thread: Quite an urgent request from a Frome newbie

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Re: Quite an urgent request from a Frome newbie 
    I would listen to scottys advise, (you can tell he's serious as his comments lack his usual sarcasm ;D), and thats because riding on the road is a seriously dangerous place for evan the experienced.
    I dont mean to criticize but you have bought a bike which doesn't sound like its going to be cheap to repair if you happened to drop it, As a first bike I think you made a mistake, unless you too are planning on just keeping the bmw in your garage. I wish you all the best anyway.

2. Re: Quite an urgent request from a Frome newbie 
    I had my heart on an old beemer and the 650cc (R65) seemed a less suicidal choice than the K-100 and K-75's I was offered. My uncle knows several dedicated BMW breaker yards and apparently parts are widely available for BM's around the world, which is where I intend to take her. The boxer twins are also meant to be very easily repairable, unlike the modern all parts-encased plastic bikes you can't even change the oil without paying a mechanic. My wife also costs a bomb to maintain, but love is blind.

3. Re: Quite an urgent request from a Frome newbie 
    The only issue with the old boxers I know of is the carb diapham rotting causing bad fuelling.

Parts are easy, BMW still stock 'em! My uncle has an old BMW twin (circa 25 years old) and he still tours about europe on it!!!!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

4. Re: Quite an urgent request from a Frome newbie 
    I can't wait.

Had my heart set on it for ages.

5. Re: Quite an urgent request from a Frome newbie 
    Platinum Member
    Just a thought, but does your uncle have a bike he would let you ride off the public highway for a bit of practice.

My OH didn't have a 125.
    He did a bit of practice on my bike in an empty car park on a Sunday off the public road.
    It won't help with roadcraft/traffic, but you can obviously practice U-turns, swerve & avoid, general control skills etc.

6. Re: Quite an urgent request from a Frome newbie 
    Diamond Member
    Parts easily obtained either from a dealer as JonW points out but also Motorworks, Motobins or James Sherlock all of whom I use and can recommend.

I think an R65 is a better choice than most here will, partially because I'm biased, but also because they are easy to ride, handle well and if you're into doing your own maintenance, very forgiving to work on. A friend of mine had an R65 as a first bike and now he's on a K1200RS having had a very happy transition. Good luck

7. Re: Quite an urgent request from a Frome newbie 
    Lovely all, thank you.

My Uncle (he is in fact my cousin technically but he's just much older so I call him Uncle to other people, not to his face of course), has ridden BMW-K-100's since he was 17, shame he's only got one bike though.

Mark Able has kindly offered to give me a hand, Im looking forward to getting some more road practice in with him.

8. Re: Quite an urgent request from a Frome newbie 
    i know the kam your talking about, it belonged to one of W/B and it done her well. talk to lou.