Notices

Thread: Quite an urgent request from a Frome newbie

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Quite an urgent request from a Frome newbie 
    Hi,

It's good to find your site, it was recommended to me by Mark Able who is trying his best to get me through the Mod 2, which I failed last week mainly because of lack of road experience.
    I'm hoping to try again as soon as possible but while I'm waiting here in Frome I thought it would be a good idea to try and get some road experience.
    I can't afford to rent a bike, so am here to ask if anyone by any chance has an old 125cc or even scooter sitting around in their garage that they could let me 'borrow' or rent just for a couple of weeks, so I can be more ready this time round for my Mod 2 with some road experience under my belt?
    I promise to look after it, and can pay something like a rental while I have it, we have a safe locked yard here where my neighbour stores his bike and car so it would be safe.
    I know it's a long shot, but if you don't ask, you don't find out.
    I have my CBT and provisional license of course.

Cheers,
    Joe.

2. Re: Quite an urgent request from a Frome newbie 

ok, how about a pushbike ? :-/

3. Re: Quite an urgent request from a Frome newbie 
    Platinum Member
    If I had 125 I would loan it to you, I am all in favour of seeing people on two wheels. All I can do is wish you the best.

4. Re: Quite an urgent request from a Frome newbie 
    Can't help with a bike I'm afraid Joe but good luck with the retake and when you pass, feel free to get in touch - I live in Frome and only passed my test a year ago, so generally up for an evening ride out or whatever.

5. Re: Quite an urgent request from a Frome newbie 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ_Biker
    If I had 125 I would loan it to you, I am all in favour of seeing people on two wheels. All I can do is wish you the best.
    I wish I had a 125 that I could loan to you - Sorry I can't help.

6. Re: Quite an urgent request from a Frome newbie 
    Why not just buy a 125 and practice on it? Your test result kinda pointed out that you need road riding experience and experience is invaluable in keeping you alive, especially after passing your test when you'll no longer be getting any supervision. What's the hurry anyway? Spend some time learning to RIDE, not just to get through your test otherwise the licence you may acquire will be little more than a pink voucher for half a day at the undertakers...
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

7. Re: Quite an urgent request from a Frome newbie 
    As mentioned, why not buy a 125, run it for a month or so and sell it on. Plenty of demand for them so it wont hang around for long.

With a bit of planning you can get something decent for less than a grand, run if for a while and then sell it on for just under a grand. Ok, its a bit of hassle and you need the money up front, but will be cheaper than renting (though not as good as borrowing).

Insurance and stuff isnt expensive either - I did this and managed to get a CG125 for just over a grand, insured for £60 and a tank of petrol lasted ages! Sold it for just under a grand 2 months later.

I needed to tax it just before selling it - I did think that 6 months would be fine, but the DVLA dont allow it - though £16 for the year didnt seem too bad after all...

;D

8. Re: Quite an urgent request from a Frome newbie 
    Could you not just pay to tag along on a day out with the Able gang when they're preparing trainees for their test?

9. Re: Quite an urgent request from a Frome newbie 
    im sure mark would sort something out for you, sorry ive not got a 125 about at present. theres some good advice thats been given above as well. good luck

10. Re: Quite an urgent request from a Frome newbie 
    Thanks all, some good advice there, there's a dealer here in the backstreets of Frome ( Frome Bike Breakers) who have some 125 cc's for under and around a grand, one KAM 125 for 625 quid, which would probably sort me out for a while and give me some road experience before taking my MOD 2 again. Of course you're right, it's just I have already put 500 quid deposit on a classic BMW R-650 cc (mint condition, only 17,000 km on the clock) and am saving every penny towards that. I suppose I have to make some tough decisions.