Notices

Thread: weather ???

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: weather ??? 
    I commute daily on the bike and it has improved my faith in the tyres. The joy of getting that corner perfect in the wet, is sooo much more satisfying than in the dry.
    I went textile first and my textile kit cost me a total of £150 brand new and has gradually been upgraded.
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/

2. Re: weather ??? 
    I read as far as the second line and then lost interest :-X

3. Re: weather ??? 
    Because I don't like getting cold and wet and I don't like getting the bike all filthy, is that ok with you?

Sure I've done it when I've been caught out in it but rarely make a point of going out when it is wet. Riding to and from the NW200 five years ago was a case in point, got soaked between Dublin and Carrickfungus on the way there, had a sunny day at the races and got even more soaked between Snowdonia and home on the way back, I have never been so wet on a bike and it was no fun at all - oversuit, "waterproof" gloves, poly bags inside boots - made no difference at all, I got home soaking wet and cold, in May. My kit took days to dry and it took days to clean the bike properly as well (bodywork off, shock out, doing a thorough job of it)

If it ain't fun, why choose to do it? :-? It's a free country and if our choice not to ride in the wet offends you, that's your problem.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

4. Re: weather ??? 
    i've always ridden all year round.

about "affording to get all the gear", when I started riding I had a set of leathers, bought waterproof overalls and that was enough for winter riding to kept me dry from the rain.

they were about 20quid...

5. Re: weather ??? 
    Quote Originally Posted by njl
    I don't mind riding in the rain, but if the journey doesn't have a purpose beyond the journey itself, then I would likely give it a miss.
    [smiley=smiley_up.gif]

6. Re: weather ??? 
    Platinum Member
    about "affording to get all the gear", when I started riding I had a set of leathers, bought waterproof overalls and that was enough for winter riding to kept me dry from the rain.
    You must have just happened to have the right boots/gloves/visor then.
    I have decent sidi boots (vertigos) but they definitely aren't waterproof.
    I've got pinlock inserts on both visors (most people have problems with misting).
    I've got a pair of textile trousers where the waterproof inserts ripped and they became un-waterproof.
    Most of the textile stuff needs washing and re-proofing with something that costs £10 per bottle (TX direct?).
    I don't think my experiences are that unusual.

7. Re: weather ??? 
    well, im just talking from my experience...

I had leathers underneath with waterproof overalls, they were a one piece suit, kind of a rubbery inside....actually one set I bought from Lidl and I still have it and works perfectly fine.

the boots cost £20 off ebay and were waterproof, if needed, stick your feet in carrier bags and then put boots on
    the helmet was a Caberg that cost £120 new

not saying that everyone has to ride when its raining, just saying there's ways around it.
    price of kit to ride in the wet is not a good enough reason to not ride in the wet.

and I wasnt doing 5miles to work either, I was commuting 30 miles each way and weekends from Newbury to Gatwick and bike rallies all over the place...

8. Re: weather ??? 
    here ya go.. Lidl finest.

2008 in France, rode for over 200 miles in pouring rain... just those overalls over my leathers. completly dry.

sorry for the "catalogue pose". Im the one on the right.
    Overalls dont look pretty...but the important is that the gear works.

9. Re: weather ??? 
    Platinum Member
    "catalogue pose"??
    Looks more like "One step beyond"

10. Re: weather ??? 
    pmsl.... was the guy in the middle idea... every picture of him from that year he's doing that... :