Notices

Thread: weather ???

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. weather ??? 
    OK for a long time now ive been thinking,

Why do some riders only ride in the wet ???

I find it strange that someone will pay loads of money for a bike and all the gear and never venture out if it rains. Then one day they go to the track or for a nice long ride and get caught out by the weather and end up really hateing the trip back home ?

2. Re: weather ??? 
    lol, the silence

3. Re: weather ??? 
    don't really have an answer other than I've done plenty of wet riding and simply don't enjoy it. The bike for me is for pleasure - I commute in the car - so if it's wet and I won't enjoy it then I stay home in the dry
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

4. Re: weather ??? 
    Banned
    i'm thinking you are thinking why do some riders only ride in the dry?

for me personally, it took a year or two couple of years to get sufficient quality kit to be able to stay out in the rain and not get wet, and at the time I was commuting to work not just riding for fun. Now i have more money invested in textiles than leather and would generally be able to kit up to ride all day without suffering too badly. I never came across an oversiut that helped for long in the rain.

I expect that a good number of ppl will also be less confident in rain or mixed conditions whith regard to the grip available on the bike which could cause anxiety for them off setting the pleasure of a ride for fun.

I have done 6 or so laps of castle combe after heavy rain which pretty much cleared the paddock one afternoon, had the track to myself on all but one lap but the amount of times the bike would twitch got to convincing me it would only be a matter of time before i dropped it had me calling it a day too.

I don't mind riding in the rain, but if the journey doesn't have a purpose beyond the journey itself, then I would likely give it a miss.

5. Re: weather ??? 
    Quote Originally Posted by 8_ball
    OK for a long time now ive been thinking,

Why do some riders only ride in the wet ???
    I reckon 'wet' should be 'dry'

For me personally I don't mind getting wet once I'm out, but riding a bike is for me nothing other than fun, and quite simply getting wet and cold aint no fun.

6. Re: weather ??? 
    i've been caught out in the rain and as i only have leathers i got very wet and very cold so didn't enjoy the rest of the ride. If i had textiles I might think about going out in the rain but for me I like to stay warm and dry so i'm staying a fair weather rider im afraid

7. Re: weather ??? 
    Platinum Member
    There are good reasons for not wanting to go out in the wet

1) Bike gets a lot dirtier and needs cleaning.
    2) Fine if you have all the gear, but not everyone can afford to have the right jacket, trousers, gloves, boots etc. and it's miserable if you get wet and cold. Gear also has to be kept in good condition as water will get into any broken seams, so again more costs for repairs/replacement.
    3) Obviously the road surface is a lot more slippery on the white paint, man hole covers, studs but also diesel spills, gravel etc. I tell all my associates to ride the same in the dry as they would in the wet e.g. go through the black on zebra crossings, then it's second nature rather than having to change your riding style. Of course there is a trade-off because if you never go out in the wet you never get any practice. Doing some advanced training or being a tutor/observer is good from that point of view because we don't avoid the wet (only ice & snow).
    4) Can be difficult to see if you don't have the right visor/insert. You also can't ride with your visor up if you wear glasses.
    I had one visor that was scratched and the water would run into the scratches. I've since changed that.
    Also another one (Schuberth C2) that was dreadful for steaming up. I've now got an insert for that, but it's all money, so it's extra costs which not everyone can afford all the time.
    I think the biggest thing I hate about riding in the wet is not being able to see properly.

8. Re: weather ??? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    I think the biggest thing I hate about riding in the wet is not being able to see properly.
    Good point.

9. Re: weather ??? 
    I think the simple answer is 'because people don't like getting wet'

10. Re: weather ??? 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    I think the simple answer is 'because people don't like getting wet'
    what he said ;D