Notices

Thread: Sat Nav's for motorbikes

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Sat Nav's for motorbikes 
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish
    I use a car Euro Tomtom with a waterproof case and handle bar mount, connected it to an auxiliary power socket on the bike and bluetooth to my helmet. Works great for me and its interchangeable with the car. I don't find it distracting, it helps me prepair my road positioning on unknown roads aproaching roundabouts, junctions etc. :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arkon-Bike...ht_1602wt_1118
    That looks great. I was just about to buy it and realized my bike doesn't have handle bars

2. Re: Sat Nav's for motorbikes 

3. Re: Sat Nav's for motorbikes 
    Banned
    I never go anywhere that I would need one. :-/
    If I was off to France it would be handy but then I'd worry the police were going to smash it

4. Re: Sat Nav's for motorbikes 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny
    I never go anywhere that I would need one. :-/
    If I was off to France it would be handy but then I'd worry the police were going to smash it

Why are the police going to smash it?

5. Re: Sat Nav's for motorbikes 
    Diamond Member
    Suspect it’s something to do with a built in camera / speed trap warning facility.

The French police had (may still have) a big dislike for such things

I only know of one injcident when we (Supra Club) used to go over there for a blat. Guy was stopped for speeding and had a “Snooper” and he was well shouted at and it was confiscated. This was before Sat Navs were so common (and before laser jammers behind your grill was too) 8-)

Still use my Snooper, it seems much more accurate than the TomTom warnings you get every five minutes

G

6. Re: Sat Nav's for motorbikes 
    Platinum Member
    I'd heard this about Spain, regarding sat navs with speed camera warnings, my sister lives there and she says it's utter hokum. Everyone has them and get's no bother at all, urban myth. Besides, how are you going to police cars with satnav as std, i have camera warnings on mine, are they gonna crush the car? Ithinknot.

7. Re: Sat Nav's for motorbikes 
    Diamond Member
    Garmin have issued a revised software release to reflect the changes proposed or that are now in effect law. I don't have my Zumo with me but if I remember its a change in terminology such that the SatNav doesn't call them speed cameras warnings as such, but they issue you a "safety warning" instead. That way they are not giving the location of the camera away which I think is the crux of the legislation changes. I'm not totally sure so when I get home I will double check, but the manufacturers are taking this seriously so I would suggest its not a myth.

8. Re: Sat Nav's for motorbikes 
    Diamond Member
    Wasn't a myth a few years ago in France (I know nothing about Spain in 2012) in fact my mate was mything his Snooper :-)

Saying that, there were twenty plus MKIV Supras blatting about like the French roads were a racetrack which I suppose with hindsight didn't really help matters or get us loved by the locals or police lol
    I'll be missing Dragonball 2012 :'(
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWRb0TNOSjs

G

9. Re: Sat Nav's for motorbikes 
    Platinum Member
    A snooper isn't a satnav though? Years back they were illegal here.

10. Re: Sat Nav's for motorbikes 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128
    A snooper isn't a satnav though? Years back they were illegal here.
    Really ! Wondered why I keep getting lost :-/

;D