Notices

Thread: Sat Nav's for motorbikes

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Sat Nav's for motorbikes 
    Hi everyone,

Am really enjoying the forum and the warmth and friendliness of all shown towards new members - thanks!

When I pass my Mod 2 next Tuesday (positive thinking and a great instructor Mr Able ) and get my Fazer 600 - (not getting the Hayabusa any more lol ;D ), one of the things I am looking forward to doing is enjoying nice rides out on the bike.

For the times I don't go with you guys I am considering a Sat Nav for the bike. My geography is not fab and have used one in a car for years - they are very good at what they do. I would like to transfer that benefit across to the bike.

My question is - are they just as good on a bike, or do they vibrate a lot, are they waterproof, and most importantly of all (for me) might they be a distraction?

I know you shouldn't ride or drive along and push buttons on things etc but one may do.....

I guess it all comes down to common sense on that one.

But on the whole do we - as a united community - think they are a good thing for bikes? :-/

2. Re: Sat Nav's for motorbikes 
    I have thought of getting a sat nav for the bike, however the thing that has always stopped me is that I think it would be distracting.

3. Re: Sat Nav's for motorbikes 
    The bike specific ones are pretty expensive because they need to be waterproof etc. Very good though

I personally use an app on my iphone when needed, and have a waterproof iphone mount that was £8 from amazon! Having said that, I've only used it 3 times - I prefer to either get lost and figure it out, pull over and check google maps, or just keep riding until I find a sign that's useful

I also find when I have it on I'm looking at the screen too often...though I don't have sound/bluetooth which a proper bike one would have
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

4. Re: Sat Nav's for motorbikes 
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabz
    The bike specific ones are pretty expensive because they need to be waterproof etc. Very good though

I personally use an app on my iphone when needed, and have a waterproof iphone mount that was £8 from amazon! Having said that, I've only used it 3 times - I prefer to either get lost and figure it out, pull over and check google maps, or just keep riding until I find a sign that's useful

I also find when I have it on I'm looking at the screen too often...though I don't have sound/bluetooth which a proper bike one would have

Thats my fear and cant afford or warrant the expense of a dedicated bike satnav :'(

5. Re: Sat Nav's for motorbikes 
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabz
    I personally use an app on my iphone when needed, and have a waterproof iphone mount that was £8 from amazon!
    That sounds like a great idea! Don't suppose you still have a link to the add do you?

6. Re: Sat Nav's for motorbikes 
    Diamond Member
    I have had a Zumo 550 and now have a Zumo 660 from Garmin. Both are excellent bits of kit but very expensive. I have two bikes so have different solutions for fitting them but on my GSA its fitted on a brace above the clocks so I can see it easily. I have a bluetooth intercom headset so I can hear voice instructions which are easier to follow most of the time than looking at the screen. The Zumo's also come with route plotting software for you pc, you can download or upload routes, POI's etc etc. They are waterproof and designed specifically for bikes, so are glove friendly etc.

If you can afford to have toys for your bike they work very well but don't try and justify the cost as I doubt you will be able to do that to anyone including yourself. Maps and a good sense of direction will work just as well, but I'm getting lazy in my old age ;D

7. Re: Sat Nav's for motorbikes 
    Platinum Member
    I have a car gps and a waterpoof mount.
    If your worried about being distracted then you can always turn the screen off and just use a (flat) earphone.
    That means you don't need a mount as you can put it in your pocket.
    Turning off the screen prolongs the battery too.

8. Re: Sat Nav's for motorbikes 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    I have a car gps and a waterpoof mount.
    If your worried about being distracted then you can always turn the screen off and just use a (flat) earphone.
    That means you don't need a mount as you can put it in your pocket.
    Turning off the screen prolongs the battery too.

I have Tom Tom in the car but I dont think it has socket for an ear piece.

9. Re: Sat Nav's for motorbikes 
    I dont use a SatNav but have a pretty good sense of direction anyway and quite like exploring new roads/routes if I do get a bit lost.

The OH who gets lost if he's more than 10 miles from home (really!!) uses a SatNav all the time. He made up a really smart DIY mount for his TomTom and uses the one normally in his car on the bike. He just relies on looking at the screen for directions rather than the sound or plugging in an ear piece.

When we went to France on the bikes it was certainly invaluable.

10. Re: Sat Nav's for motorbikes 
    Diamond Member
    Ride in a group 1 gets lost we all get lost. Unless you use the WB marking system never fails..... ;D