Notices

Thread: Do L Plates make me invisible?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Re: Do L Plates make me invisible? 
    I was only talking about this a few days ago. I've ridden pillion for the last 25 years and have really noticed the decrease in general nodding these days. Now I'm on my own bike with L plates I've noticed how many people don't nod anymore. Some still do but the majority don't.

Recently, I mentioned this to a friend of mine and went pillion on his Duke streetfighter where I proved my point. He made a conscious effort to exaggerate his nod as we passed bikes and only half of them responded.

I think there are more scooters on the road now than there have ever been and I'm sure that might have something to do with the decrease in nodding.
    I find ped riders don't nod, seasoned bikers are hit-and-miss.

Also, the old nod, you know, straight up and down, has changed into a winky side-head-tilt but without the wink ;D who the hell started that? ;D

I don't care, I nod anyway, btw, but it does feel, to me, like L plates aren't worthy of a nod
    In loving memory of Mikkie Mahon 8th May 1986 - 28th September 2014. Taken too soon, ride free x
    “I WILL be a story in your head, but that’s ok. We are all stories in the end, just make yours a good one, eh?”

2. Re: Do L Plates make me invisible? 
    Back in the seventies, and whilst in European countries, it was mainly a flash of the headlight.
    I agree with your comment, Goldie, about the "winky side head tilt". Bit like an involutary nervous twitch even.
    Always appreciate the "Nod or Twitch" albeit somewhat less often these days.
    Quite often get a regal wave from the cruiser type riders too. 8-)

3. Re: Do L Plates make me invisible? 
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteW4tcher
    i nod @ L platers...............we were all there once
    Not strictly true. The only time i've ridden with L plates is on my test and I was too busy concentrating to care if I was being embraced the biking community.

Nod, don't nod, makes no difference to me. I'm out for a ride.

4. Re: Do L Plates make me invisible? 
    Took this picture last year on the way to the Aircooled RD rally

I was heading towards Buxton and the Cat and Fiddle. Just after I took this I heard a big rumble of bike coming the other way.

I put my hand up as about 20 hard core Hells Angel type appeared... Not one of them waved back... ;D

5. Re: Do L Plates make me invisible? 
    im on L plated atm and i get nods most of the time but not from some other L plate users, but i always nod and not really fussed if they dont at least i had a go

6. Re: Do L Plates make me invisible? 
    Everyone nods at me on this KAM 125.

I thought they were being friendly, but it turns out they were laughing at me.

7. Re: Do L Plates make me invisible? 
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeKilroy
    I thought they were being friendly, but it turns out they were laughing at me.
    I get that feeling as well :'(

But......

Went to Weston Super Mud today with the other half (oldfatboy) and just about every nod was returned

It seems the threat of sunshine, brings out the happy feelings in people