Notices

Thread: Paraplegic rides again - and how you can help...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Paraplegic rides again - and how you can help... 
    Platinum Member

Hi Everyone,

As some of you may know I have been involved in setting up a charity called The Bike Experience with my friend, Talan Skeels Piggins. The charity aims to get riders who have been paralysed back on to a bike on track.

About Talan
    In March 2003, Talan Skeels-Piggins, an active PE teacher, former Royal Navy fighter controller and experienced skier, suffered a motorcycle accident which shattered his spine and fractured his neck in several places. The odds of surviving this type of accident is estimated at 1 per cent, with only a 30 per cent chance of recovering from trauma suffered. Talan was left paralysed from the chest-down.

Following his discharge from hospital Talan was determined to get the most out of life and decided to live life to the full. He has not only completed the Bath Half Marathon in his wheelchair but also represented Great Britain in last year's winter paralympic in his sit-ski.

Always seeking new and exciting goals, Talan turned his attention to motorcycles, and more specifically track based bikes or road racing.

Starting off with a Suzuki GSX-R1000K6 might seem to be a bit extreme, but he was determined to make a dynamic come-back to riding. There have been numerous lessons learned along the way: stabiliser design, rear brake requirement, gear shifting controls, PCM III limitations, engine mapping.

Keen to involve more and more disabled riders, Talan has an adapted GSX-R600 which he uses to show riders how it is possible to ride again.

His experiences have led him to give motivation and achievement talks all over the country and to many different types of audience (from Primary School to Senior Management of Blue Chip companies). His talks are emotional and honest, showing just how tough the human spirit is.

Talan is also trying to get his ACU licence to enable him to race. No paraplegic has ever been issued a solo-motorcycle race licence by the Auto Cycle Union, so the ground remains unbroken, uncharted and unknown.......

The Bike Experience Charity and the future....
    I have spoken to Talan and he will be more than happy to come and give his talk to WB'ers. We just need to decide on a date and venue. He is an absolute inspiration and I am sure you will all be interested to hear him talk.

The first charity track day is at Castle Combe this Wednesday 20th April. If anyone is interested in helping out this track day, or any others please let me know. We may need people to assist on the day to launch/catch the riders.

In addition, we are also seeking any kind donations of boots, leathers gloves as our students may be all shapes and sizes and the more kit we have, the more people we can help!

I will be looking to organise a charity ride out later in the year to try and raise funds - in addition Talan and I will be at the Castle Combe circuit for the Bike Safe event on the 4th June to raise awareness.

If you are able to help out with fund raising, track days, donating bike gear or anything else - please PM me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. If you want to read more.....

Talan's Bike site is here with lots of pics, well worth a read.
    http://web.me.com/tskeelspiggins/Dis...g/Welcome.html

Some footage of his riding
    http://web.me.com/tskeelspiggins/Dis...bikeoct10.html

There is a fantastic article on Talan in Fast Bikes:
    http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/...ods/Talan1.jpg

You can read Talan's blog from the day of his accident onwards and his life experiences to date. It is a real inspiring read. If you have the time, I really recommend you sit down and take time to read it.
    http://talant4trust.blogspot.com/

2. Re: Paraplegic rides again - and how you can help... 
    What time at combe? I might be able to finish work a bit early and pop down.

3. Re: Paraplegic rides again - and how you can help... 
    Platinum Member
    Prob from about 9 until 2/3. What time do you finish?

4. Re: Paraplegic rides again - and how you can help... 
    I'm sure that Talan will be an inspiration to anyone who meets him, looking forward to catching up with him whan I can
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

5. Re: Paraplegic rides again - and how you can help... 
    Stickied.

Shame work commitments mean I can't get to this on Wednesday.

Best of luck with this, weather looks like it'll be onside as well
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

6. Re: Paraplegic rides again - and how you can help... 
    If I go balls out tomorow I might get there for Just after lunch. Customer doesn't have a roof at the moment so can't really leave until it's done.

7. Re: Paraplegic rides again - and how you can help... 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    If I go balls out tomorow I might get there for Just after lunch. Customer doesn't have a roof at the moment so can't really leave until it's done.
    If I were your customer and looked up and saw you on my roof with your balls out, I would probably send you home early!! ;D ;D ;D Very good plan ;D

8. Re: Paraplegic rides again - and how you can help... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis_Sinanan
    [quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1303060586/5#5 date=1303128404]If I go balls out tomorow I might get there for Just after lunch. Customer doesn't have a roof at the moment so can't really leave until it's done.
    If I were your customer and looked up and saw you on my roof with your balls out, I would probably send you home early!! ;D ;D ;D Very good plan ;D[/quote]
    If only all my customers were as understanding.......

9. Re: Paraplegic rides again - and how you can help... 
    Talan, or Mr Skeels as we knew him, was my sports teacher at secondary school. He was the most enthusiastic and generous person, not only with his time but also his knowledge. I really wish i could come along to this but i don't think i can make either of the current dates. I do really recommend that if you can, just go down and speak to him, i'm sure he will be more than happy to talk to anybody, we had more of a problem trying to shut him up!

10. Re: Paraplegic rides again - and how you can help... 
    Platinum Member
    Rachel - I am looking to organise an evening when Talan can come to talk to wb'ers, maybe at the H&C. Will keep you posted - I mentioned I know you via the biking world!