Notices

Thread: Ducati 916, Buying ones dream bike.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Ducati 916, Buying ones dream bike. 
    Platinum Member
    To be fair that one was obviously previously maintained by an utter incompetent, 916's etc benefit from loving ownership, however current machines are as reliable as Jap offerings.

2. Re: Ducati 916, Buying ones dream bike. 
    Banned
    OCD is a great quality in a woman

3. Re: Ducati 916, Buying ones dream bike. 
    Always loved the 916, but would never buy one because of the build quality. It would only end up in my dream bike garage if I got someone else to do a pukka restoration on it... :
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

4. Re: Ducati 916, Buying ones dream bike. 
    I'm glad I bought the F4 instead of the 916 now.
    Poor man, the previous owner obviously wasn't as loving towards his machine as this guy clearly is!
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/

5. Re: Ducati 916, Buying ones dream bike. 
    as a few of you may know ive owned two ducatis 916...and 996...both were no trouble at all...but you need to be sure of what you are buying...dont let this put you off..the smile while riding them is worth every penny...

6. Re: Ducati 916, Buying ones dream bike. 
    Hmm, I think I'll save my money for an sp1 now.

7. Re: Ducati 916, Buying ones dream bike. 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltsdan

More championships, in fact a lot more, won on a 916! People who say they are unreliable, are usually those who have never owned one.

8. Re: Ducati 916, Buying ones dream bike. 
    Platinum Member
    The 916... A LEGEND...

Unfortunately a colossal PITA to work on, quite a mess of wires, hoses & plumbing under that fairing.

The desmoquattro engine itself is unserviceable by most mortals, & will cost a fortune to get done in a dealer? The shims themselves are notoriously fiddly to even see, let alone swap out in services - easier to drop the engine out to do the belts etc?

The later Testastretta engines were a LOT more user-friendly (998 - 999 etc) but still not for the faint-hearted. This is not a toy - not by any means a Jap inline4 you can pull out of the garage on a Sunday, abuse & repark? It will need a LOT of looking after, they are by no means "normal" motorcycles, but the EPIC sound, torque & riding pleasure from a good one will make you smile for hours!

All Ducatis of this vintage have their faults & niggles - it is however easy enough through a HUGE amount of research & homework to work your way down a list and make them a very tidy, reliable motorcycle? Most of the bad Ducati experiences have come from people not prepared to put in the hours to maintain them - of COURSE they will break down!

Would I buy a 916? Of course, who wouldnt? I would do exactly the same as many of my Ducati forum friends have done and strip the bike down to the last nut and bolt, debug it, and reassemble.

Would I buy another Jap bike? Unlikely. Another nameless soul-less plastic missile...

Dont pass judgement or comment until you have at least ridden one - they really are something else! 8-)

9. Re: Ducati 916, Buying ones dream bike. 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltsdan

If you want a v-twin sportsbike - dont mince around pretending, buy a Ducati! Live the dream... Only recently a saw a Honda VTR1000 all resprayed in red with the tank decals done in a Ducati font?? I would put this particular faux-pas on a par with wanting a Harley, but settling for one of the Jap rip-offs instead.

SP1/SP2? Gorgeous! Nearly got one myself - not keen on them being a copy, also quite a thief magnet still??

VTR1000 "Firestorm" (Yawn.) The Ford Mondeo of the v-twin's.

TL1000 Have owned a few Suzukis, not keen on their ability to rot before your eyes...

Life is too short not to live your dreams... I wanted a Ducati for the last 17 years, last April I bought one and havnt looked back?

If you do - take somebody who knows Ducati's to look it over!

10. Re: Ducati 916, Buying ones dream bike. 
    It's so funny how defensive Ducati riders become.. ;D

I had a test ride on an 851 in 1990 when they were all the rage and found myself completely underwhelmed, couldn't see what the fuss was all about (and it was a genuine half hour ride on roads I knew well). Last month Bike mag had a Panigale for testing duties and one day it just refused to start... Character my arse! There is simply no excuse for unreliable bikes nowadays, especially when they're brand new and cost the far side of 20 big ones... all the "they're as reliable as Japanese bikes nowadays" is no more than wishful thinking.

SP1/2s aren't a copy of Ducatis, they were a necessary move in order to compete under the rules written especially for Ducati by the Italian WSB series owners. It was particularly satisfying to see Edwards beat Ducati twice, especially in the classic 2002 showdown at Imola... You can fire all the "plastic missiles" barbs that you want Darren, but I prefer a bike that I service when it needs it and doesn't break down, no matter how much abuse it receives. You ride your preference and I'll ride mine, but don't look down your nose at people who don't ride ditch pumps....
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen