Notices

Thread: Buying Advice - SV650S

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    Quote Originally Posted by porkies
    Hyosung were making the engines and frames for Suzuki since 1976 so this is kinda a step up but on the same bike sort of :-/

Next puzzle is do i go grey or red?????
    RED

2. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    have just seen ;Da black K8 and it looks soooo good! damn decisions!
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

3. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    Black ones are faster!

4. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    Quote Originally Posted by porkies
    Jon, whats fuel consumption and handling like? nimble or bit wallowy?
    Fuel consumption is good I get about the same from my Sv and GS500. Handling is sharp if sometimes a little exciteable. The later (pointy) ones are more stable and have better suspension but the earlier (curvy) ones are more fun.

The hyosung uses a very similar engine to the sv (Hyosung actually make many of the suzuki engines including the sv's) and has similar performance... but the sv looks better!!! 8-)

An oddity if you are interested is the Cagiva Raptor and V-Raptor. An Sv650 engine in an italian frame with showa suspension and brakes. Rare as, but not too pricey when found.

"there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

5. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    [quote author=porkies link=1341252733/11#11 date=1341306911]
    Jon, whats fuel consumption and handling like? nimble or bit wallowy?
    Fuel consumption is good I get about the same from my Sv and GS500. Handling is sharp if sometimes a little exciteable. The later (pointy) ones are more stable and have better suspension but the earlier (curvy) ones are more fun.

The hyosung uses a very similar engine to the sv (Hyosung actually make many of the suzuki engines including the sv's) and has similar performance... but the sv looks better!!! 8-)
    [/quote]

Thanks Jon,

I'm after a pointy not curvy as prefer the look of the fairing on the later model.

yeah i knew Hyosung have been making the engines for Suzuki, once had a suzi rider tell me he wouldn't trust my engine to last long on a chinese bike! didn't like it when i told him its Korean and the same engine he was sat on! ;D

6. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    Hyosung wanted to use the Sv engine but Suzuki barred them so they had to reverse engineer the engine and create their own.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

7. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    The handling on SVs is ok until you start to push them a bit, and then the budget nature of their suspension becomes apparent - softly sprung and under-damped, and unfortunately there isn't any adjustment on them (spring pre-load only affects sag and loaded ride height, it won't cure a lack of springing and damping)

If you want to know anything about SVs, look HERE!

Edit: Dan, are you on an A2 licence? The pointy SV is dead easy to restrict if you wished/needed to - a simple ECU swap, they can be bought for about £50 second-hand, and sold on for the same afterwards when you no longer need it. Fitting will take mere minutes 8-)
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

8. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    Hyosung wanted to use the Sv engine but Suzuki barred them so they had to reverse engineer the engine and create their own.
    Hyo used to make the engines for Suzuki until they didn't renew the licence but couldn't stop them from making the engines under the name S&T motors.

both i've looked at Scotty are already restricted, didn't realise it was done via the ECU, guess i'd have to buy a new ECU once i want the power put back up

9. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    The handling on SVs is ok until you start to push them a bit, and then the budget nature of their suspension becomes apparent - softly sprung and under-damped, and unfortunately there isn't any adjustment on them (spring pre-load only affects sag and loaded ride height, it won't cure a lack of springing and damping)

If you want to know anything about SVs, look HERE!
    Agreed, but is fine for the road. I've never struggled on mine. The later pointy ones have better suspension than the earlier ones but more gentle geometry. Makes them a little less hairy than the early ones.

Had fogotten about Sv650.org...... : is a great website!!

10. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    13,000 miles on a K6 and doesn't look too tatty, is this high mileage for this sort of bike?

its already got a restricted ECU in it, dealer's just quoted me £1000 for an unrestricted ecu! claims as its part of the immobiliser, hence the price