Notices

Thread: Buying Advice - SV650S

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    just over 2k miles per year isn't high. Just check it's been looked after.

£1000 Bring back the inlet washers on the carb models.....
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

2. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    yeah seems a bit steep, also £80 to remove the throttle cable stop link (what?) apparently it goes with the restriction to stop the throttle being fully open and running the engine to rich....might be easy to wait for next August and just buy one thats already unrestricted... :-/
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

3. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    Hi Dan

Think we met on the rideout to Lyme Regis - I was the newbie on the black sv650s (k8, fully faired) who spent most of the time keeping the back marker company (thanks again Dennis!) - that's more about my confidence levels rather than bike performance ;D

Just wondering if you've thought about buying a unrestricted bike & then asking dealer if he can do a deal for you getting a 33bhp ECU??? Was worth an ask for me ...... I was lucky enough for the dealer (suzuki) to have an ECU restrictor that fitted her surplus to requirements in their workshop so they let me have it (& proof certificate) for free alongside giving me the original unrestricted ECU back.

I'm certainly not an expert about restricting bikes but can only relay my understanding from when I bought mine a couple of months ago which needed to be restricted.
    At the time they confirmed all that was needed to do to restrict (& obviously unrestrict) is to swap the ECU kits (which is under the seat & easily accessed so just a quick job), nothing was mentioned about throttle cable stop link thingy????

As I've only had my bike for a couple of months (she's still under warranty) & after reading your post a nagging thought entered my head!!! So for piece of mind for me & advice for you I called the dealer I bought her from & asked if he was aware of anything about this "throttle cable stop link". He double checked with the the workshop guys today who confirmed restriction is only done via ECU unit.

Also when I began exploring ECU kits I do recall they seem to be around £700-£800 but know you can get 33bhp ECU cheap on Flea bay.

Hope this helps .................

By the way she's lovely to ride, not that I've got much to compare except my first ride cbr125.
    Also prior to buying her everyone I spoke to & what I read said they perform well being restricted - gotta agree with that too

4. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    Diamond Member
    DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a beautiful ride. You'll learn a lot on it, and it's very happy to put up with newbies. I LOVED my sv to bits. So much so, that most of them are in Rewenge. Seriously Dan, you won't regret it. And the gladius is much more of a girls bike, men look wrong on it.

5. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    Cheers ladies, yes Di i remember you, dealer told me that most insurance don't recognise the ecu restriction as it is so easy to swap out but i'm getting conflicting info :-/

Di, where did you get yours from? want to see if i can test one before i commit

hey Mort, who's the newbie????

6. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    Tbh even though I've got proof certificate my insurance company didn't ask for one when I declared it was restricted. Yep gotta agree they are quick & easy to swap out.

I bought mine from Pro Bike in Newbury
    http://www.pro-bike.com/Second_hand.htm
    I can only comment from my experience but wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, still would even if they hadn't throw in the restrictor for free. Kev, one of the sales guys was fab, gave great personalised service & wasn't pushy at all.

Just a thought Dan, soz if I'm covering something you already know, but I was unable to test ride any bike over 33bhp due to having restricted license. I had to rely on my partner to do the test ride for me once I found a bike that I felt happy sitting stationary on!
    You mentioned the one you're currently looking at is restricted so this might be ideal for you to take out before you commit to anyone or any bike.

Once again Dan hope this helps & not adding to the heap of conflicting info :-/

7. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    its fine Di, good points and info,

some dealers haven't even asked about licence type for test rides but i always tell them first

8. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    You're welcome

I had the same thing with some dealers too Dan

9. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    Tax aint cheap for the year either!

10. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    If you didn't know Dan, Insurance group 9, lower than some similiar bikes