Notices

Thread: Buying Advice - SV650S

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Buying Advice - SV650S 
    Hi peeps, i'm looking at getting an K6 SV 650s with 13,000 on the clock, anybody had one or know what the common faults are on one? would like to get a good idea what to look out for when viewing it. also if any one has any experience/knowledge of the bike please share

1, check valve clearances have been done (thanks Joneyflame)
    2, ?
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

2. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    Being a suzuki the build quality isn't the best. Rust, burring of the fork legs and general tattiness.

3. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    Dan, check the SV forums.
    One of my mates has 2 650s and 2 1000s, he says he had no problems that haven't occurred with the rest of his bikes.
    He has got 5 at the moment, so he said as long as you love it as much as the Hyosung it should be remain a good bike.
    The advantage also being that because there used to be a dedicated race series there are loads of aftermarket parts available. Also 90% of the parts can be used from the thou' because it is essentially the same bike.
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/

4. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    cheers Dan & Dan

burring of the forks???
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

5. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    I'm guessing this means something to do with rough edges :-?

6. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    Quote Originally Posted by dipple666
    Also 90% of the parts can be used from the thou' because it is essentially the same bike.
    Its been a while since I needed to check a part but I wouldn't exactly say 90%. The 650 and Thou have different frames, engines, looms, CDI, exhaust, and a few other bits which are not interchangeable. However, yes some parts can be swapped over. The tank springs to mind first.

As for issues with a K6 650, I'd say none really. Yep its a budget bike and can show in places. Go for something with a good service history and keep on top of the oil level. And on the subject of oil stick 15w in the front forks to transform the handling on the cheap.

7. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    Banned
    Read some good stuff about them in the bike mags

8. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    Dan as you know I had a k2 SV 650 it was a very good reliable bike and I had no issues with it at all. As for things to look out for other than the forks as stated earlier the issues are the same as all bikes. You will not regret your decision great value little bikes.

9. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    Platinum Member
    1 important check. Check you are male, if so, step away.

It's a gurls bike.

10. Re: Buying Advice - SV650S 
    Quote Originally Posted by dipple666
    Also 90% of the parts can be used from the thou' because it is essentially the same bike.
    That is incorrect. The SV1000 (formerly TL1000) and Sv650 are totally and utterly different. Only superficial parts will be interchangeable. The frame, wheels, electrics, forks even some of the plastics are different.

As to the SV650. Ignore the girls bike sh*t. They are only jeleous because they have somthing to hide.....

SV's are great bikes. The engine is a real stormer and will suprise the gixer brigade. Handling and brakes are good. The Sv is a great all rounder and will happily tour or fly round the back lanes with the best of them.

The build quality is as good as any other Suzuki (i.e. not great) but adequate. The later ones seem better than the earlier ones. Check for peeling paint and pitted forks. Other than that I've had no problems in 10 years of owernship. The engines can be noisy around the top end even when the valves are correctly adjusted. The main thing to check for is abuse. These tend to be 1st big bikes so get thrashed and crashed a lot.

Other than that I can't recommend one highly enough.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"