Good stuff...

The next thing is maps...

You need to study OS maps for your area to find your local byways - you will want to explore what is on your doorstep first... you will be surprised - I was... apparently Wiltshire has more miles of byway than any other county in england - literature indicates 600km of this is in and around Salisbury Plain...

If you want to do this online (free) - Bing maps have an OS map option... other wise suggest buy OS maps for your area... insert them into those clear A4 wallets - and sellotape to your petrol tank... I've spent some great days this way exploring my local area and finding amazing scenery right on my doorstep - I feel ashamed I didn't know about before - as I've been living here for 7 years now...

I've just gone 21st century - and bought an android phone (S3) it comes with basic Google maps gps - which works well - but I am aware there are several OS map apps - haven't had time to research which may be the best - so if anyone has a recommendation - please feel free to offer up your experience...

8-)akley