Notices

Thread: Long distance riding comfort

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Long distance riding comfort 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    STRETCH!
    Before every long ride stretch your hamstrings, glutes, quads and your thoracolumbar facia. In English that's the back of your legs, your ass, the top of your legs and your lower back.

Hamstrings: Toe touches

Glutes: Sit on the floor, legs out straight. Cross your right leg over the left. Right foot flat to the floor, knee bent. Twist to the right and hook your left elbow onto the outside of your right knee. Push against the knee to stretch. Repeat the same with the left leg.

Quads: Stand on one leg. Pull the heal of the othe leg back and towards your bottom. Push forward with the knee to maximise the stretch.

Thorahirdsfaciaboard: Lie on your back, legs raised and bent at 90 degrees so that the thighs point up and the lower leg is parallel to the floor. Twist at the hips and lower the legs from left to right.

Do this before you set off and your aching days will soon be a distant memory.
    Oh hunny, if only! ;D

Touch Toes = I havent touched my toes in 25 years ;D I am literally held together with titanium plates, rods, bolts and screws following a major horse riding accident - I can just about reach my knees on a good day :

Glutes, sit on the floor and ... = Lets stop right there - I would need to warm up to sit on the floor and it would take me half an hour to get down there and half an hour to get back up again

Quads = Im not even going to try and get out of that one, just no, it aint ever gonna happen ;D ;D ;D

2. Re: Long distance riding comfort 
    Diamond Member
    I did 610 miles in one day on my old Fazer, but the last 100 was a real struggle to get home. And that was 4 years ago - don't think I could manage it now.

Dare I say it - Age is a big factor. When your body has done a few tours of duty it starts to complain - unfortunately, a fact of life. I always say as long as someone is about to lift me on to a bike I’ll ride it. ;D

3. Re: Long distance riding comfort 
    i guess we're all different and differnet bikes/positions suit others better, i did 271 miles on my 'sports' bike and didn't find it uncomfortable.

try flexing your joints every now and again to stop them becoming stiff and locking. i tend to flex my elbows when riding and my knees when stopped in traffic, the odd full head twist from side to side seems to help me too failing that soak yourself in deep heat, suit up and off you go :P
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

4. Re: Long distance riding comfort 
    Quote Originally Posted by cerruti
    Oh hunny, if only! ;D
    Classic... 8-)

5. Re: Long distance riding comfort 
    I went through loads of bikes trying to find one I liked and could ride more than 50 miles without being in pain and was really shocked to find for me a GSXR is just brilliant. I really dont get any aches or pains at all - no wrist ache, back ache, bum ache anything......and I'm no spring chicken ;D Havent touched/seen my toes in years either ;D ;D

Maybe it's something you'll get used to with more use? If you really like the bike and don't want to part with it perhaps just keep trying with some longer rides.

It's horrid when you like a bike but its just not comfortable to ride any distance - been there.

6. Re: Long distance riding comfort 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    STRETCH!
    Before every long ride stretch your hamstrings, glutes, quads and your thoracolumbar facia. In English that's the back of your legs, your ass, the top of your legs and your lower back.

Glutes: Sit on the floor, legs out straight. Cross your right leg over the left. Right foot flat to the floor, knee bent. Twist to the right and hook your left elbow onto the outside of your right knee. Push against the knee to stretch. Repeat the same with the left leg.

Quads: Stand on one leg. Pull the heal of the othe leg back and towards your bottom. Push forward with the knee to maximise the stretch.

Thorahirdsfaciaboard: Lie on your back, legs raised and bent at 90 degrees so that the thighs point up and the lower leg is parallel to the floor. Twist at the hips and lower the legs from left to right.

Blooming heck do you honestly do all that before you set off?

7. Re: Long distance riding comfort 
    yeah mentally maybe
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

8. Re: Long distance riding comfort 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki
    I went through loads of bikes trying to find one I liked and could ride more than 50 miles without being in pain and was really shocked to find for me a GSXR is just brilliant. I really dont get any aches or pains at all - no wrist ache, back ache, bum ache anything.
    You're obviously not riding it properly!

9. Re: Long distance riding comfort 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki
    [quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1343302260/5#5 date=1343316756]STRETCH!

Blooming heck do you honestly do all that before you set off?

[/quote]
    No I do it everyday.

I had a snowboard accident when I was working in Alpe d'huez and wrecked my back. I couldn't even put my socks on in the morning.
    I was one of these 'tough' guys who just worked through the pain, then a friend suggested Bowen. It absolutely changed my life and now I regularly do pilates too. My back has never been stronger so all you people who this 'this is my lot' it isn't.

p.s. Chriroprators and physios are **** and a waste of money. I been to see loads and they all said the same thing 'change your job and your hobbies'

10. Re: Long distance riding comfort 
    I'm ok on the MT-01 and could ride all day. My wife on the back can only manage about 30 miles before needing to stretch her legs.
    The Bonnie's great (better with the Triumph gel seat). Swop the Harley for a Bonnie maybe. Riding position would be better, it's faster, won't rust as much and it's British