Notices

Thread: Long distance riding comfort

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Long distance riding comfort 
    This is a question especially for the lady riders

How do you ensure comfort when out on a long ride?

I went out on my harley for the day yesterday, and to be quite blunt... It's a really wide bike

I was pretty relaxed the whole time and ensured that I changed my position a little every now and then. I have forward pegs so my legs were spread quite wide I found that on the final leg of the journey I was starting to sieze up and things were starting to hurt

This morning my back is killing me, my thighs are on fire and I feel like I spent the day riding Seabiscuit

2. Re: Long distance riding comfort 
    Platinum Member
    Get a sportsbike, people mock the riding position, but far comfier than any 'sit up' bikes for me.

3. Re: Long distance riding comfort 
    Backside pain: CHECK
    Legs siezed: CHECK

Welcome to riding distance!!!!! ;D

It's all down to the ergonimics of the bike and where you are putting your weight. The Harley will tend to sit you plumb on your backside with little weight on your feet or hands, probably hence the sore back and bum!

Thje siezed legs is caused by sitting still for long periods. You need to move about every now and again to minimise this. The thigh pain is probably due to the sitting position.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

4. Re: Long distance riding comfort 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128
    Get a sportsbike, people mock the riding position, but far comfier than any 'sit up' bikes for me.
    Don't go there Mitch - My ER6 is still in the workshop waiting for stupid insurance peoples to reach some agreement :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I did ride the kwaka to work daily, which is about an hour's ride and I found that by the time I reached the office things were just starting to hurt... The slightly forward riding position and the leg scrunching is not good for my back - Im held together with bits of titanium

For long distance I would choose the Harley every time, for commuting efficiency its the kwaka. I guess it's a fitness issue and I need to spent more time in the saddle

But my god Ive got a sore backside and thighs today ;D ;D ;D ;D

5. Re: Long distance riding comfort 
    Diamond Member
    I could do about 30 miles on a sportsbike until I couldn't put up with the pain anymore ;D

On my "Sports Tourer" I can do about 100 miles before I need a break, and 250 mile days are comfortable.

On my Tourer (sit up and beg GS Adventure) I can do 80 miles non-stop on the stock seat before numb bum sets in and I need a break. 300 mile days still OK though.

If I put the Sargent or Kahedo seats on the GSA then I can do 160 miles non-stop and 350 plus many more mile days.

There are many different reasons for back, leg, bum, neck and arm pain on long distances. Its all down to the individual and as Jon says, the ergonomics of the bike. What works for one might not work for another and everyones pain threshold/fitness level is different. This is why there are so many different aftermarket "solutions" for you to spend your money on.

6. Re: Long distance riding comfort 
    STRETCH!
    Before every long ride stretch your hamstrings, glutes, quads and your thoracolumbar facia. In English that's the back of your legs, your ass, the top of your legs and your lower back.

Hamstrings: Toe touches

Glutes: Sit on the floor, legs out straight. Cross your right leg over the left. Right foot flat to the floor, knee bent. Twist to the right and hook your left elbow onto the outside of your right knee. Push against the knee to stretch. Repeat the same with the left leg.

Quads: Stand on one leg. Pull the heal of the othe leg back and towards your bottom. Push forward with the knee to maximise the stretch.

Thorahirdsfaciaboard: Lie on your back, legs raised and bent at 90 degrees so that the thighs point up and the lower leg is parallel to the floor. Twist at the hips and lower the legs from left to right.

Do this before you set off and your aching days will soon be a distant memory.

7. Re: Long distance riding comfort 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    STRETCH!
    Before every long ride stretch your hamstrings, glutes, quads and your thoracolumbar facia. In English that's the back of your legs, your ass, the top of your legs and your lower back.
    Dont forget to also go for a pee

Glutes: Sit on the floor, legs out straight. Cross your right leg over the left. Right foot flat to the floor, knee bent. Twist to the right and hook your left elbow onto the outside of your right knee. Push against the knee to stretch. Repeat the same with the left leg.

Quads: Stand on one leg. Pull the heal of the othe leg back and towards your bottom. Push forward with the knee to maximise the stretch.

Thorahirdsfaciaboard: Lie on your back, legs raised and bent at 90 degrees so that the thighs point up and the lower leg is parallel to the floor. Twist at the hips and lower the legs from left to right.

When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

8. Re: Long distance riding comfort 
    Quote Originally Posted by Conehead
    [quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1343302260/5#5 date=1343316756]STRETCH!

[/quote]

Dont forget to go for pee
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

9. Re: Long distance riding comfort 
    i could do 100+ on my gsxr......somehow the bike just suits my body

10. Re: Long distance riding comfort 
    I can do a tankfull 21ltr 210miles with no problems on the TDM,but i do stop at approx 100miles just for a ciggy etc but then im off again, any longer and i loose the rhythm of the ride.