Notices

Thread: yamaha thunderace needs better breaks help!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. yamaha thunderace needs better breaks help! 
    Does anyone know if theres any other break calipers that will fit on to the rear? Or any way other than the obvious of getting better/new pads? Also does anyone know a site for mods for my bike that will gain good bhp or loose some of the weight not looking to spend stupid amounts? Thanks in advance

2. Re: yamaha thunderace needs better breaks help! 
    Doesn't the ThunderAce have the blue spot callipers as fitted to the original R1? Those are excellent brakes, if they're under-performing it's probably due to pads or lines being past their best, or less likely the discs have had it. Does it still have the original brake lines, and if so how old are they? Braided lines aren't expensive and a good set of pads will transform the way they work.
    Why do you want to change the rear calliper? Most of your braking should be done using the front, not the rear. If the rear isn't working well it probably just needs a strip and clean, and maybe new pads. If you want more power from the rear I think you need to re-assess your braking technique, perhaps have a chat with Mr. Able.

Edit: just re-read your original post (not so easy using a phone) - if you want a lighter, more powerful bike that will carry a passenger as well as the Ace it'd be easier to buy one than mess about changing yours. Have a look at a ZX-9R from '98 onwards.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

3. Re: yamaha thunderace needs better breaks help! 
    Thanks for the info... the front are ok the (blue spot calipers) took them apart on the weekend and gave them a good clean up but they worked really well for about 30mins then felt crap again the front pads are low but not that low could new pads make a big difference to the front? The rear caliper is a silver crappy thing not sure what make etc new pads. The front has braided hoses but back standard? Bit warped on the back but not overly warn? Think i do need to be shown when to start breaking for corners but need to sort out the breaks so it stops in time lol. Thanks for your time in replying appreciated.

4. Re: yamaha thunderace needs better breaks help! 
    Sorry didnt write back to the zx9 part really want to keep this bike its the only bike ive not yet blown up and looked like a bag of sh*t when i brought it and spent so much on it to get it how it is now and because im young my insurance is expensive on a "sporty" bike this is cheaper than what i can get a 600 insured for being a sports tourer

5. Re: yamaha thunderace needs better breaks help! 
    Best start with a pad strip and clean, braided or even new o/e hoses can make a lot of difference, bleed the brakes and replace the fluid.

6. Re: yamaha thunderace needs better breaks help! 
    Have replaced the fluid and cleaned the pistons found the dust seal on one of the calipers has popped out but i dont want to pay alot to replace them so dont wamt to take it out :'(

7. Re: yamaha thunderace needs better breaks help! 
    Platinum Member
    *Ahem*

Riding at the speeds you were through the Buisness park this afternoon and I don't think you will have to worry about brakes buddy BUT wether you will keep your licence long enough to need em

8. Re: yamaha thunderace needs better breaks help! 
    Opps umm that wasnt me. Where abouts was that? Dont think i seen you?

9. Re: yamaha thunderace needs better breaks help! 
    Platinum Member
    Coming from Mcd's roundabout through the park and then onto westbury where you turned round and went back the other way

You overtook me through the buiness park as I was on my way home from work at around 1.30pm

Nice LOUD exhaust that I could hear well up Yarnbrook straight

10. Re: yamaha thunderace needs better breaks help! 
    ;D busted