Notices

Thread: Motorbike Crash help

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    Any front braking whilst leant over will cause the bike to sit up, loosing the ability to turn, add a bit of target fixation, looking at something thinking s**t im going to hit that, and you probably will, As for the road surface, the council have a duty of care, and should have records of regular inspections, you could always ask for these, as the surface is broken and uneven it could be considered as a contributory factor to the incident, its worth a go mate, whats the other option? cheers wes.

2. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    One golden rule I have always lived by there is you need two styles of riding.
    In town slow the heck down, make people enjoy the beauty of your bike.
    In the country open her up but don't go nuts.

It has kept me safe and I have heard several coppers say this when I have been to presentations etc through work and bike meets.
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/

3. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    IIRC the bit of road where you show the dip is straight so you wouldn't have turned/leaned till you had passed it. Check it out on Google maps street view it shows the before repair road surface and looks pretty straight to me.

I don't think you can put much blame on the road surface sorry.

4. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    Platinum Member
    so if you can't help the lad or try and give him some of your knowledge
    Ash, I'm a volunteer tutor and I do believe there are people that could help you with your observation and positioning (I get £10 contribution towards my costs for 3-5 hours coaching).

As for the council you are entitled to information under the freedom of Information Act.
    However the council are not obliged to monitor 24 by 7 and fix all problems instantaneously.
    If they can prove that they monitored the area and met the guidelines then you would not have a case as they are not expected to magically make all the roads perfect the instant a problem occurs.

I have looked into this before when I hit a pothole a dented the wheel on my bike. My gut feeling is that you are very unlikely to get anything from the council.

My advice is to try and improve your riding.

Don't take that as a criticism because we ALL need to do that. I've been doing it for 4 years now and I'm still going because it's a process of continunal improvement.

In the long run it could save you a lot of money and hassle but worse case it could save you from a life changing injury.

5. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    In the old days we used to cock it up and came off our bikes. We learned a lesson from it

Have noticed now that people come off bikes and always try to blame someone else. Its never their own fault anymore.

6. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    A couple of years ago I tried claiming from Swindon Borough Council after a pothole (200mm square, 65mm deep) caused a big dent in the rear wheel of my road bike. They claimed to have inspected the stretch of road in question (between Liddington and Aldbourne) only 16 days previously and that the hole hadn't been there, and sent me a copy of the report. I could have enlisted the help of a couple of mates who are "with the roads" to fight the point, and would have done had I sustained an injury, but it would have been difficult to prove that the hole in question hadn't been there at the time of the inspection (I would refute strongly the possibility of it appearing over 16 days in August) but it wasn't worth the effort really. I got the rim straightened for about £65 in all.
    The council has a legal duty to repair a dangerous defect once it has been reported to them. One of my mates "with the roads" says that in previous years they'd have paid up without arguing, but since the harsh Winters of the last couple of years they've tightened up considerably and now their policy is to dispute every claim in the hope that the plaintiff will give up and walk away - they just give the standard answer of "wasn't there when we looked", which is difficult to disprove. If you were to say "it's been there for months" it's your fault for not reporting it, simple as.

For this one, you'd better put it down to experience Ash, bikes can be fixed and people heal, hopefully a little wiser next time around. The true moral of the story is: If you see a pothole or a dangerous defect, REPORT IT!
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

7. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    A couple of years ago I tried claiming from Swindon Borough Council after a pothole (200mm square, 65mm deep) caused a big dent in the rear wheel of my road bike. They claimed to have inspected the stretch of road in question (between Liddington and Aldbourne) only 16 days previously and that the hole hadn't been there, and sent me a copy of the report. I could have enlisted the help of a couple of mates who are "with the roads" to fight the point, and would have done had I sustained an injury, but it would have been difficult to prove that the hole in question hadn't been there at the time of the inspection (I would refute strongly the possibility of it appearing over 16 days in August) but it wasn't worth the effort really. I got the rim straightened for about £65 in all.
    The council has a legal duty to repair a dangerous defect once it has been reported to them. One of my mates "with the roads" says that in previous years they'd have paid up without arguing, but since the harsh Winters of the last couple of years they've tightened up considerably and now their policy is to dispute every claim in the hope that the plaintiff will give up and walk away - they just give the standard answer of "wasn't there when we looked", which is difficult to disprove. If you were to say "it's been there for months" it's your fault for not reporting it, simple as.

For this one, you'd better put it down to experience Ash, bikes can be fixed and people heal, hopefully a little wiser next time around. The true moral of the story is: If you see a pothole or a dangerous defect, REPORT IT!
    IS THAT IT? No "pay attention to the road" or "you can't ride, get the bus"?
    I've been waiting with baited breath for your response and I can tell you i'm sorely disapointed.
    You've changed, man ;D

8. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    [quote author=Scotty link=1345734350/25#25 date=1345791484]A couple of years ago I tried claiming from Swindon Borough Council after a pothole (200mm square, 65mm deep) caused a big dent in the rear wheel of my road bike. They claimed to have inspected the stretch of road in question (between Liddington and Aldbourne) only 16 days previously and that the hole hadn't been there, and sent me a copy of the report. I could have enlisted the help of a couple of mates who are "with the roads" to fight the point, and would have done had I sustained an injury, but it would have been difficult to prove that the hole in question hadn't been there at the time of the inspection (I would refute strongly the possibility of it appearing over 16 days in August) but it wasn't worth the effort really. I got the rim straightened for about £65 in all.

I've been waiting with baited breath for your response and I can tell you i'm sorely disapointed.
    You've changed, man ;D[/quote]

;D ;D ;D ;D

That made me chuckle

In all seriousness Scotty's right that if you see anything dangerous on the roads you should report it. This can be done via "Clarence" - which is the councils hotline (you can email to) for reporting issues. I have done it several times and to be fair to the Council they were out in all cases in under 24 hrs if not to fix straight away, but make safe. Leaving it for someone else to do results in no action and some poor sod finding out the hard way.

I still doubt the pothole in the pictures would have unsettled the bike that much unless some serious speed was being undertaken, plus its prior to the point where the turn would have been initiated anyway.

Put it down to experience and the positive side is that you were left in a position where you are physically able to learn from it.

9. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    You've changed, man ;D
    Haven't you heard Dan, I've mellowed with age... 8-)
    It was a fairly typical "novice" mistake and berating the poor guy for it wouldn't help at all. Somebody's already had an unreasonable rant at him, so a reasonable one would have been pointless
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

10. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    [quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1345734350/26#26 date=1345792466]
    Haven't you heard Dan, I've mellowed with age... 8-)
    [/quote]

Since the Minehead ride at the Chissy Garage?!
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....