Notices

Thread: Motorbike Crash help

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    As already stated by Ducatista you are entitled to details of the maintenance records from the relevant Highway Authority (it may not be WCC, it could be a private company). From these you will be able to establish if the defect was identified and what, if any action had been planned to rectify the problem (has it been repaired since your accident?).

One cautionary note, if the defect had occurred after a routine inspection but before your accident, if no one had reported it to the Highway Authority or Police (who would pass details on, they are not responsible for carriageway repairs) the Highway Authority’s defence would be they could not reasonably be expected to carry out a repair.

Good luck.

2. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    the council state they inspect the highways every 3 months. They checked it 1 month before my accident and 2 months after.

I reported the incident a week after I came off there, informed them of the size of the defect etc.

They said before accident it was recognised, after the accident it had changed enough for them to begin plans to fix it. It's a total mess up on their behalf, its been there years and not noticeably changed. I would say it'll get worse each WINTER not May last year when it was hot!!

I never realised how deep it was until I measured it 4 weeks after my accident (when I could walk normal-ish!) the hole at deepest point was just under 2" deep. The length was approx 6foot long.

on a rather witty point about I maybe should have reported it previously.. If its located right near the council offices were the highways team drive over. They didn't report it at all either!

Im not overly bothered about injury compensation etc just damage to bike and having to fix it, took me forever as I'm new to bike mechanics!

3. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    Diamond Member
    I'm sorry Ash, I know you want to find a reason why you crashed, but in my opinion, based upon your evidence and description of what happened, I don't believe that under normal riding conditions, that road surface would have been the cause of your incident.

If it was then a high percentage of every other bike that went over the same piece of tarmac would also have ended up crashing. Is there any evidence of other accidents?

Personally I think you need to forget about blame and chalk it up to experience. Think about your own skills and observation as a mechanism for avoidance next time. Getting some training as Ducatista points out will help you as well without having to learn the real hard way.

4. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    I am not doubting I am to blame really. I am trying to recoop my losses, clutching at straws I know. This happened over a year ago now, definitely more experienced and wise. I don't ride much at the moment as the engines still in bits after the gears blew up on me!

I will be picking it up next year with a view to do some assessed rides etc.

5. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    camera.op76
    my nan once said, 'ah be jaysus - that kerb was in the road' ;D

6. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by supermancss
    I am not doubting I am to blame really. I am trying to recoop my losses, clutching at straws I know. This happened over a year ago now, definitely more experienced and wise. I don't ride much at the moment as the engines still in bits after the gears blew up on me!

I will be picking it up next year with a view to do some assessed rides etc.
    Well, just remember that making a successfull claim against the local council simply means that its the Council Tax payers (i.e us) who would actually be paying for your claim. People tend to forget that bit when pursuing a claim against the council.

7. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    Also pay a lot for people who happily sit on the dole with a free house and no council tax.

The economy/country has gone to the dogs, I'll take what I can of the council tax I pay really! Its always the smae majority who eat up benefits, public services etc.

I've paid enough tax to wiltshire council to cover my claim 10times over!!