Notices

Thread: Motorbike Crash help

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Motorbike Crash help 
    Hello one and all. I ask kindly for any assistance.

Last year in May 2011 I had a bike accident which I am currently in the process of trying to prove the council did a bad job in maintaining the road. If they had maintained the road as they should have then I wouldn't have crashed (or very likely not to have)

The area in question is on the Roundabout by The Lamb pub in Trowbridge. Just off county way/Mortimer street.

There was a large dip in the road which was in the middle of the three lanes. I was taking the bend with some lean and 'slid' down into the dip causing me to nearly drop the bike to the right. I managed to regain control and get it upright. But due to the panic I did a bad job and ended up being upright about a foot from the kerb. I obviously hit it and fell off causing major front end damage and damage to my leg.

I am wondering if anyone is familiar with the defect in the road and if so would they be willing to put it in writing. I would reward any kind offers of help with beer or similar should the claim ever get through court and I win the case.

The area has now been resurfaced outside the lamb and the council over the last year have got much better at maintaining roads actually!!

If you know any bikers in Trowbridge please pass on. I am finding it difficult to prove that the dip would cause a loss of control. I have proved the dip existed with other friends but It would be good coming from more bikers.

Many thanks for all who took the time to read.

Ash

2. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    Two images which will help jog memories perhaps.

3. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    that's a hell of a busy and multiple-entrance/exit junction to be taking "with some lean", enough to spit you off! Can't say that dip affected me on the bike there (I ride that regularly) I'm afraid mate :/ I suspect also the council would bring speed into the equation saying that at an appropriate speed for that section of road the dip shouldn't have caused any issues
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

4. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    when I say 'lean' I didn't quite mean like that!

I was going approximately 20mph? Road was clear all ahead, I was left side of middle lane to swing around towards bythesea road.

A car came hammering down mortimer street and my attention was on that car, I braked slightly front brake. I slid into the dip and lost it in a panic brake I think. Happened very quick!

does that make a little more sense? or more on my side?!

5. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    Platinum Member
    Ash - to take that corner with "some lean" on a pedestrian crossing, on a busy town-centre roundabout with many junctions was pretty fkn retarded! Like Very? :

I DOUBT you were doing 30mph, more than likely at age 21 riding like a dick for the bike and rider to end up where they were?

The only "defect" in this equation is in your brain. DONT ride like a dick in town.

Sympathy score: Minus 24.

6. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    Platinum Member
    Your little Paint-lines have the bike ending up in a TREE in the library car park and you ending up on top of a fence?

At "20mph"???

Purleeeease.... ;D ;D ;D

Thats not a road defect? Do you need a hand riding over the pavement bump when you get you bike off the driveway?

Buy a car for Crissakes and do us all a favour. I hope it does go to court? That would be pure comedy!

Phone the Jeremy Kyle show, they will be interested?

7. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    EDIT: Lmao. The X bits are a key for my terrible drawing. I landed right near the kerb and the bike!! Can understand what you mean now, If my bike+me landed over there I would be doing 50 odd!!

seems that I may be a bit more bias than I thought I was!

It was early hours on a working day. I had seen a handful of cars on my 5minutes up until the crash. In town etc I am more sensible than the average in my opinion. It went wrong due to my actions after seeing the car. I should have braked as soon as I saw the car coming down towards the roundabout. But left it and braked hard after I didnt think it was going to stop. My only argument on my side would be had the road been flat I don't believe I would have crashed.

I have 1 witness statement from someone on the road at the time who saw the car coming down mortimer street saying it looked very fast in excess of 50mph and was revving very loudly.

In a honest opinion without bias I would say its 40% my fault 60% road.

sympathy score + a few more 470four ? ;D

8. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    Diamond Member
    Ash,

From your pictures it seems you were in the wrong lane if you were intending to go round to the right. You also mentioned using the front brake. Is it possible you realised you were in the wrong lane, leant over a bit too far to try and get into the correct lane, lost traction, panicked, touched the front brake and then went straight on to hit the curb?

Edit: Sorry, I have just realised I'm reading your key as the intended route. Forget the above lol.

9. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    Hello snowy, I was in the middle lane to straight on towards bythesea road if you know the area. Front brake in hindsight shouldnt have been used to slow down whilst turning, lack of experience in using that rather than rear brake really. hence why I think 40% is rider error

10. Re: Motorbike Crash help 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by supermancss
    Hello snowy, I was in the middle lane to straight on towards bythesea road if you know the area. Front brake in hindsight shouldnt have been used to slow down whilst turning, lack of experience in using that rather than rear brake really. hence why I think 40% is rider error
    Yeah I know the road. I thought your "key" was the "intended" road. You have my sympathy over the accident not your drawing ;D