Notices

Thread: I cant decide...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. I cant decide... 
    I can't decide if I should get some sort of 125 to ride about on and gain experience before doing my Test or if I just try and do my test with some training.

Anyone got any advice on which route I should go? :

2. Re: I cant decide... 
    With the test changing in Jan 2013 I'd say get it over and done with asap! You have the benefit of living with an IAM observer so you should have no problems at all with experience and post-test learning
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

3. Re: I cant decide... 
    Rob said the test doesn't affect me anyway even though its changing?

lol yes true I live with an IAM observer but I cant ride his bike out so I still cant really get any experience before taking the test and I seem to be terrified of corners... and getting worse.. even as a pillion :-/

I dont know, one min I think I ought to just get on and do test but then I panic that I'll fail due to lack of experience and then I think I ought to ride a small bike and then think its probably a waste of money buying it as I want to ride a bigger bike lol

4. Re: I cant decide... 
    hmm yeh good point, you may be right!

The DAS isn't too scary - I passed mine after never having ridden a bike before, did 2 days on a 125 (1 of which was the CBT, 2 days on a 500 then the test. You'd be amazed how much experience you get after a few days of solid riding

Another thing to consider - 125s are more expensive than bigger bikes in a lot of cases because they're sought after by learners and for the fuel economy
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

5. Re: I cant decide... 
    Quote Originally Posted by A13X4ND7A
    I can't decide if I should get some sort of 125 to ride about on and gain experience before doing my Test or if I just try and do my test with some training.

This is where I'm going to sound very old but back in the dim distant past all I can say is the year I had zooming around on my 50cc and the next 6 months on my Suzuki GP100 were invaluable. I know a huge amount has changed since 1980 something, including much better training, but I really learnt so much in that time without having the power to get me into serious trouble and am glad of that time I had now looking back.

A very difficult decision not helped by the ridiculous legislation learners have to endure now.

Maybe a chat with someone like Mark Able would help? I dont know him myself but I know he's helped a lot of bikers here and certainly seems very helpful.

6. Re: I cant decide... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabz
    hmm yeh good point, you may be right!

The DAS isn't too scary - I passed mine after never having ridden a bike before, did 2 days on a 125 (1 of which was the CBT, 2 days on a 500 then the test. You'd be amazed how much experience you get after a few days of solid riding

Another thing to consider - 125s are more expensive than bigger bikes in a lot of cases because they're sought after by learners and for the fuel economy
    This is what gives me the confidence to think I can go and do it. The first time Id rode a bike was when I did my CBT and although I was shakey to start with by the end Id really got the hang and felt confident enough to want to go out alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki
    [quote author=A13X4ND7A link=1345624278/0#0 date=1345624278]I can't decide if I should get some sort of 125 to ride about on and gain experience before doing my Test or if I just try and do my test with some training.

This is where I'm going to sound very old but back in the dim distant past all I can say is the year I had zooming around on my 50cc and the next 6 months on my Suzuki GP100 were invaluable. I know a huge amount has changed since 1980 something, including much better training, but I really learnt so much in that time without having the power to get me into serious trouble and am glad of that time I had now looking back.

A very difficult decision not helped by the ridiculous legislation learners have to endure now.

Maybe a chat with someone like Mark Able would help? I dont know him myself but I know he's helped a lot of bikers here and certainly seems very helpful.
    [/quote]

This is where I come into conflict with the above because I wonder if I am better off getting confidence and experience by riding around like this first.

I cant afford to have loads of rider training with an instructor neither.

Argh the choices! If I do go for the DAS I want to do it by winter at least but I was told I have to ride to Bristol for my Mod1 and the thought of that after only a lil ride around trowbridge and westbury on a 125 for 2 hours scared the sh*t into me which made me think I'm clearly not ready :/

7. Re: I cant decide... 
    Banned
    Sounds to me that you're best option is to get a 125 and take your time.
    But if you're terrified of corners then maybe motorcycling isn't for you?? :-/

8. Re: I cant decide... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny
    Sounds to me that you're best option is to get a 125 and take your time.
    But if you're terrified of corners then maybe motorcycling isn't for you?? :-/

Maybe spend some time on a 125 and gain some confidence then after gaining this experience see if you think biking is for you?.

9. Re: I cant decide... 
    Yeah your both right, maybe motorcycling isnt for me.
    I only got nervous because I was worried I was gonna end up going straight on when Im riding and as a pillion I worry Im gonna fall off!
    Thanks for the advice everyone

10. Re: I cant decide... 
    My wife was the same as you in the fact that she was a very nervous rider after her CBT, we have invested in a 125 and now she goes out on it every oppourtunity.
    Her instructor is impressed with her road craft and I think it helps if your partner will follow you down the road to give you that confidence boost as well, I know Caz loves going out with me because I sit behind her and keep an eye on the traffic.
    Some people are born to do everything right first time and never fail, for us mortals we plod along and learn things in our own ways.
    Each to their own but I did 18 months CBT then my test and I learnt alot of road skills in that time and it helped me pass.
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/