Notices

Thread: I cant decide...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Re: I cant decide... 
    Quote Originally Posted by cerruti
    Alex I can totally relate to your original post as I was in exactly the same position as you 4 months ago, here's my story...

My other half has ridden bikes for years and after a break he's just got back into it and I was curious...

Having never ridden a bike before I booked in to do my CBT on the Saturday, Mod 1 training on the Sunday and Mod 1 Test on the Monday.

CBT was ok on the 125 although I was nervous.

Mod 1 training day was horrendous, pooped my pants completely on the 600.

Mod 1 Test day, Mark (Mr Able) dropped me down from the 600 to the 500 but I still pooped myself - I couldnt even keep up with him and the other pupil on the way to Bristol as I was so scared I was holding the traffic up and taking the corners at 20mph (I kid you not!).

At McDonalds coffee stop (Mandatory on any ride out with Mark!) I completely lost it and chickened out of doing the test - I was even petrified knowing that I had to ride the bike back to Trowbridge!

I was so cross with myself for chickening out as Im not normally a quitter, but I knew that I wasnt safe on a bike, not for my own safety, or for other road users.

So the next morning I popped down to Phoenix and bought a 125. At first I was terrified but I persevered. It helped that my partner accompanied me on his bike which really helped with my confidence. I rode that little bike at every opportunity and in 4 weeks I clocked up 2500 miles. At the the end of 4 weeks I was throwing that little 125 around like an old hand, cornering on rails (ok not quite, slight exaggeration but you get my point ;D)... I was totally in love with biking and I wanted more.

So, I rebooked a days training with Mark and went off and did my mod 1 on my own bike and passed. It helped that I took my own bike as I was comfortable and familiar with it. Yes it means Im restricted, but for me personally, it was the only way I was going to do it.

I booked up for my mod 2 a week later and ordered my new rides ;D

Passed my mod 2 and came home to my new bikes...

I was really sad to see the 125 go, it had built my confidence and given me valuable experience, but it was time to move on and up.

I now ride a Kawasaki ER6f to Bristol every day (for work) and a Harley Sportster XL 1200 custom for lols.

Both bikes are restricted, but I cant tell the difference as Ive never ridden them unrestricted

I absolutely love them to bits and Im still gaining experience and confidence all the time. I certainly have never looked back.

What worked for me may not necessarily work for everyone as we are all different. Which ever path you choose, good luck and have fun. If you want to talk to me more feel free to PM me. Im happy to meet up and ride out with you if you do decide to go down the 125 route as it helps to have someone with you I feel.

Biking isn't for everyone, but don't give up until you know you are sure.

Ps, just read this back and didn't realise it was such a long one, sorry! :
    THANK YOU, I think you just helped me more than anything. I think that's exactly what I want to go and do now.
    I don't like quitting, and believe me I've wanted to ride a bike for the last 12 years, and if it wasn't for my partner I still probably wouldn't have had the confidence to do anything about it. My father tells me its a certantity Im going to die being as Im into bikes (yes very supportive as you can tell > ) and after I kept stalling and sort of dropped a big bike when I was literally trying to do a U turn (previous to that I was fine) it knocked my confidence right through the floor and since Ive been in uber panic mode about things so being told its not for me just kinda sent me down the wrong path in my head.

Im so glad to have read your story and Im glad I am not the only one out there that has felt like this! Thank you soo much, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond! *going to go look for a 125 now!* ;D

2. Re: I cant decide... 
    Quote Originally Posted by A13X4ND7A
    THANK YOU, I think you just helped me more than anything. I think that's exactly what I want to go and do now.
    I don't like quitting, and believe me I've wanted to ride a bike for the last 12 years, and if it wasn't for my partner I still probably wouldn't have had the confidence to do anything about it. My father tells me its a certantity Im going to die being as Im into bikes (yes very supportive as you can tell > ) and after I kept stalling and sort of dropped a big bike when I was literally trying to do a U turn (previous to that I was fine) it knocked my confidence right through the floor and since Ive been in uber panic mode about things so being told its not for me just kinda sent me down the wrong path in my head.

Im so glad to have read your story and Im glad I am not the only one out there that has felt like this! Thank you soo much, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond! *going to go look for a 125 now!* ;D
    You are VERY welcome. I was serious about the offer of help too. Everybody is different and we need to go at our own pace.

Good luck with your venture and with finding a 125. Pity I sold my YBR

When you do come to do your test, I do highly recommend Mark Able - I know he already has a lot of fans on this forum, but for me personally he was the right instructor - that man has balls of steel and the patience of a saint!

3. Re: I cant decide... 
    Quote Originally Posted by cerruti

You are VERY welcome. I was serious about the offer of help too. Everybody is different and we need to go at our own pace.

Good luck with your venture and with finding a 125. Pity I sold my YBR

When you do come to do your test, I do highly recommend Mark Able - I know he already has a lot of fans on this forum, but for me personally he was the right instructor - that man has balls of steel and the patience of a saint!
    Thank you, I really appreciate your offer of help and I might well take you up on it!

Yes I will go to Mark Able, I think that's where the other half went to, and he will only be round the corner once I move.

Time to get saving I think, I might well be a few months with the prices on these bikes unless I get finance

Thanks once again tho, I really do appreciate your help

4. Re: I cant decide... 
    I say, GO FOR IT. you will always be wondering what if. Get the experience then go for your test. If you dont feel confident you wont pass and it will cost you a lot of money. I am sure there are loads of people on here that will go for a ride with you, I dont mind and maybe we can all do a group ride with you as lead if that helps. Only an idea. 8-) 8-) 8-)
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

5. Re: I cant decide... 
    Platinum Member
    To me it sounds like you could do it in stages like I did.
    1. Do your CBT - see how you feel.
    2. Take your Theory Test - book it after you have completed the CBT (and you are happy to progress to bigger bike)
    3. Dependant on the above - book your DAS.

Confidence is always at a low ebb when you haven't done something before (as you found with your car driving test). Breaking it down into manageable and controllable parts will assist.
    If you find you are 'running before you can walk' - you can ease off, but if you are 'flying' then go for it.
    I bet you had 'good and bad car driving lessons'?! - Most people do but they get there in the end.

6. Re: I cant decide... 
    Get a 125 lots of riding for experience then train and take your test.

7. Re: I cant decide... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabb
    To me it sounds like you could do it in stages like I did.
    1. Do your CBT - see how you feel.
    2. Take your Theory Test - book it after you have completed the CBT (and you are happy to progress to bigger bike)
    3. Dependant on the above - book your DAS.

Confidence is always at a low ebb when you haven't done something before (as you found with your car driving test). Breaking it down into manageable and controllable parts will assist.
    If you find you are 'running before you can walk' - you can ease off, but if you are 'flying' then go for it.
    I bet you had 'good and bad car driving lessons'?! - Most people do but they get there in the end.
    1. I've done my CBT and I was beaming from ear to ear afterwards!
    2. I've done my theory test and passed

I passed my car test 6 weeks and 1 day after I was 17 which was the soonest I could book a test and passed with 2 minors.
    I know I can do things, I just need a bit more confidence when it comes to a bike I think so I think Ill look for a 125 and take my test when I feel confident enough.

8. Re: I cant decide... 
    Probably the best way, i had a 100cc bike which i rode about on just to practice all the maneuvers until i was happy i had it right, plus it was good fun

9. Re: I cant decide... 
    Going Bike shopping on the weekend YAY ;D

10. Re: I cant decide... 
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers