Notices

Thread: I cant decide...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: I cant decide... 
    yeah that's what I was thinking was the better option perhaps.

I actually wanted to ride a motorcycle more than I did a car when I was 16/17 but wasn't allowed and if I recall I was very very nervous about driving a car, but 6 weeks after I turned 17 I took test and passed.

I suppose if I can get over that at that age, 11 years later I was hoping I can get over being nervous on a bike but I not sure now. like the last people said if I'm scared of cornering then really maybe its not for me.

:-/

2. Re: I cant decide... 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabz
    With the test changing in Jan 2013 I'd say get it over and done with asap! You have the benefit of living with an IAM observer so you should have no problems at all with experience and post-test learning
    100% agree

3. Re: I cant decide... 
    Quote Originally Posted by GixxerStu
    [quote author=Dabz link=1345624278/1#1 date=1345625355]With the test changing in Jan 2013 I'd say get it over and done with asap! You have the benefit of living with an IAM observer so you should have no problems at all with experience and post-test learning
    100% agree [/quote]

Changes don't affect me and my IAM Observer boyfriend cant teach me on the roads until after I passed my test... kinda doesnt help the situation really

4. Re: I cant decide... 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A13X4ND7A
    [quote author=GixxerStu link=1345624278/11#11 date=1345633734][quote author=Dabz link=1345624278/1#1 date=1345625355]With the test changing in Jan 2013 I'd say get it over and done with asap! You have the benefit of living with an IAM observer so you should have no problems at all with experience and post-test learning
    100% agree [/quote]

Changes don't affect me and my IAM Observer boyfriend cant teach me on the roads until after I passed my test... kinda doesnt help the situation really
    [/quote]

What...! He's not allowed to follow you & assist you or give advise :

5. Re: I cant decide... 
    well he could if I was riding around on a 125... hence why I asked if thats what I should buy to gain experience or go do my tests and buy the bike I want

6. Re: I cant decide... 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A13X4ND7A
    well he could if I was riding around on a 125... hence why I asked if thats what I should buy to gain experience or go do my tests and buy the bike I want
    I'd get a 125 & get as many miles done as you can before your test

7. Re: I cant decide... 
    I would definitely advise starting on a 125cc and become comfortable with life on 2-wheels. I rode 3 months on a 125cc before taking my test and it really gave me the confidence to get through the process quickly and stress free. If you rush into taking DAS, you may find it costing you more if you do not pass first time.

Take Vivi, as a case study - maybe she has taken her time to upgrade from a 125 to a 500, but at least she has complete confidence in her riding ability now and rides around with us on our 600s all the time. I never see the point in rushing these things, and you can have so much fun on a 125cc and they are favoured by beginners for a reason!

8. Re: I cant decide... 
    I've written this numerous times previously but it's always worth reiterating. I'd advise getting a 125 whether you're doing DAS or not, and riding it at every opportunity, whatever you're doing or wherever you're going. That way you'll get to practice what you've been taught and the more you ride, the more relaxed and confident you'll become, far better than an hour or so every week or fortnight with an instructor and nothing more.

Sure, 125s fetch a premium for what they are, but as long as you don't wreck it you'll easily get it back again afterwards - it's a very useful short-term investment.

Don't let anyone tell you that biking isn't for you - you'll have to do enough of it for yourself to make that decision, and if you want to do it enough then it will be for you and you'll have the resolve to make it so.

Right, get on with it then...
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

9. Re: I cant decide... 
    Alex I can totally relate to your original post as I was in exactly the same position as you 4 months ago, here's my story...

My other half has ridden bikes for years and after a break he's just got back into it and I was curious...

Having never ridden a bike before I booked in to do my CBT on the Saturday, Mod 1 training on the Sunday and Mod 1 Test on the Monday.

CBT was ok on the 125 although I was nervous.

Mod 1 training day was horrendous, pooped my pants completely on the 600.

Mod 1 Test day, Mark (Mr Able) dropped me down from the 600 to the 500 but I still pooped myself - I couldnt even keep up with him and the other pupil on the way to Bristol as I was so scared I was holding the traffic up and taking the corners at 20mph (I kid you not!).

At McDonalds coffee stop (Mandatory on any ride out with Mark!) I completely lost it and chickened out of doing the test - I was even petrified knowing that I had to ride the bike back to Trowbridge!

I was so cross with myself for chickening out as Im not normally a quitter, but I knew that I wasnt safe on a bike, not for my own safety, or for other road users.

So the next morning I popped down to Phoenix and bought a 125. At first I was terrified but I persevered. It helped that my partner accompanied me on his bike which really helped with my confidence. I rode that little bike at every opportunity and in 4 weeks I clocked up 2500 miles. At the the end of 4 weeks I was throwing that little 125 around like an old hand, cornering on rails (ok not quite, slight exaggeration but you get my point ;D)... I was totally in love with biking and I wanted more.

So, I rebooked a days training with Mark and went off and did my mod 1 on my own bike and passed. It helped that I took my own bike as I was comfortable and familiar with it. Yes it means Im restricted, but for me personally, it was the only way I was going to do it.

I booked up for my mod 2 a week later and ordered my new rides ;D

Passed my mod 2 and came home to my new bikes...

I was really sad to see the 125 go, it had built my confidence and given me valuable experience, but it was time to move on and up.

I now ride a Kawasaki ER6f to Bristol every day (for work) and a Harley Sportster XL 1200 custom for lols.

Both bikes are restricted, but I cant tell the difference as Ive never ridden them unrestricted

I absolutely love them to bits and Im still gaining experience and confidence all the time. I certainly have never looked back.

What worked for me may not necessarily work for everyone as we are all different. Which ever path you choose, good luck and have fun. If you want to talk to me more feel free to PM me. Im happy to meet up and ride out with you if you do decide to go down the 125 route as it helps to have someone with you I feel.

Biking isn't for everyone, but don't give up until you know you are sure.

Ps, just read this back and didn't realise it was such a long one, sorry! :

10. Re: I cant decide... 
    I didn't bother. Just got straight on with the test. Didn't see the point really as you'll gain what you need with an instructor on the bike you are going to do the test on and not gain any bad habits in between.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"