Thread: High miles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: High miles 
    Quote Originally Posted by python
    Go for it Wes.. yer only young once!! ;D ;D ;D
    I was, once mate ;D

2. Re: High miles 
    Quote Originally Posted by porkies
    not show sure, i get a big enough grin now with 3,000 mile intervals and 182 miles on a full tank

if most bikes can manage 40,000 miles but this supermoto needs intense servicing would 20,000 miles be considered nearly 'end of life' for the bike?

I'd expect most bikes to manage double that amount quite easily.

Without knowing the exact bike it's impossible to say whether it's high mileage. A properly maintained (between services, as well as being serviced) bike will still be in great mechanical condition at high miles, while one that's abused and neglected will be a wreck even at low miles.

3. Re: High miles 
    my youngest picked up an xtx660 supermoto, paid 1500 for it on a 2008 plate, when he turned on ignition speedo read 38.000 miles, but had been used as a supermoto track bike, no scratches and regularly serviced with genuine parts at Poole mcs, full history, we called Poole and confirmed it was in at propper times.
    problem with anything mx style is service intervals are in hours, they assume its going to be ridden in competition.
    in reality on the road, if you like it ride it moderately then regular oil change why not double or treble intervals. never had problems with the 5 husky 350 0r 510's I had

4. Re: High miles 
    We are supposed to change the oil....

5. Re: High miles 
    Diamond Member
    For some bike's high mileage would be 20K for others it can be 200K. To an extent it depends upon the type of bike it is and the manufacturer, but in my view the most critical aspects of how long a bike will economically last depends upon how well its been looked after. This would include regular maintenance being done the right way, with the right parts, to the right schedule. The other factor which is not crucial for low miles but critical to reach high mileage is mechanical sympathy and this is all down to the way you ride and abuse your bike. That affects how long items such as your engine, clutch, gearbox, suspension, drive train, etc etc will actually last. Simple things such as not revving the guts out of the engine at cold start up and not spending all day slipping the clutch will make it last longer.

6. Re: High miles 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SupeRDel
    We are supposed to change the oil....
    What's oil??