Notices

Thread: How did you get into biking?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: How did you get into biking? 
    less than gentle persuasion from a friend as I couldn't afford to run my scooby any more but wanted the rush :P

2. Re: How did you get into biking? 
    We all chipped in to buy some old 50cc stroker wreck aged about 12 which we thoroughly thrashed around the fields with the occasional word in the ear from plod rather than a record and impounded bike.

This sort of thing carried on until I was 16 and told no way could i get a bike for the road so I went ahead and did it anyway, rented a garage for a tenner a month, sent off my £15 for provisional, bought a A50P, taxed and insured it and took it home to show parents.

the rest is history

They've never been happy about me riding but they deal with it.

Dad i believe had a small bike before i was born and never went for his test so not really in the blood.

3. Re: How did you get into biking? 
    Two of my older brothers had bikes in the days of up to 250cc on L plates but never took their test. I used to sit on their bikes when I got home from school and pretend! They left home and took car tests instead and I did the same. Late 20's and I took up with a biker and the rest is history.

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

4. Re: How did you get into biking? 
    My brother had a DT50 that I used to nick for joyrides at the age of 13. Guess it just went from there.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

5. Re: How did you get into biking? 
    Platinum Member
    It's in my blood and genes I guess.
    My grandad had the following bikes
    1. Vincent Black Shadow
    2. Matchless 350cc
    3. And a couple of Ariels

When I was 18 I was learning on a geared 125cc but my parents could see that I was a bit competitive, and would probably kill myself on a bike at that age - so I did a deal with them to pay for my car driving lessons and 'stop the bike side of things' - I agreed and didn't get back on a bike until last year. I'm a bit less competitive but wiser now, and I absolutely love riding (in all weathers) My grandad was a TT'er and I will probably pop over to the IOM to see what it's all about - because I like a challenge!

6. Re: How did you get into biking? 
    Age 16 on a 50cc. Bought 125 passed test and it stuck 20+ bikes later I think I'm getting the hang of it!
    Oh yeah and my dad used to ride a bike so he couldn't say no. ;D

7. Re: How did you get into biking? 
    Always been into hotrods and there would always be a few bobbers and chops kicking about at the shows. Did my test just incase i ever wanted one and got hooked. I've even built a workshop and started building bikes for other people. Now the car's on SORN and the bikes have taken over.

8. Re: How did you get into biking? 
    I completely agree with the theory about biking being linked to genitics.
    My Dad used to sit me on the tank of his TY175 trials bike and pop wheelies, later it was on his 250 Maico.
    When I turned 11 I opened the garage to find a knackered 50cc Italjet motorcross bike and together we restored it.
    I'd always messed around with mates on bikes growing up.
    The decision to get on the road came when, my best mate Lee, rocked up on his new cbr and took me for a spin.
    I'd not had a bike for a couple of years but it was like a switch had been flicked on and couldn't be turned off.

It's in my blood and always will be. It's just who I am.

9. Re: How did you get into biking? 
    Inherited for sure

I've been researching my family tree (blame a certain TV programme) and it made my day to find an old photo of my Great Granny on a bike I also have a great Aunt who used to ride a bike in the early 1900's.

10. Re: How did you get into biking? 
    Diamond Member
    There's no one in my family who has ever been near a motorbike. I don't know where it came from but for me it started at the age of 12. I picked up whatever I could from "Motorcycle Mechanics, Bike and Superbike" mags and had a Honda dealer near to where I did my weekend work whilst I was at school. Used to go there every lunchtime to oggle the bikes.

My parents offered to buy me a car if it kept me off a bike, but nothing was going to deter me so saved up and bought a Honda Superdream in 1978 whilst I was at college. Never having even sat on a bike before, I rode it out of the showroom with the mechanic on the pillion telling me what to do Been riding ever since. Passed my car test 5 years after taking the bike test in 1979. Later in life, both my brothers had a flirt with bikes, both passed their tests and at one point my elder brother bought a Harley which lasted about 6 months. Its only me that ride's now much to my mum's continued displeasure