My father and uncle had motorbikes, I was nearly born In a sidecar when the Goldstar caught fire, my father drove into Bath bus station to get a bucket of water and my mother was locked in with flames coming up the side. That was 1964 and they had numerous bikes from Bantums, the Goldstar was bought as a project. By 1967 they could afford a van so gave up motorcycling.

At 16 we lived in a rural village in Staffordshire and along with most of my friends had a 50 to get to work and college. It was an AP50 in red, oh how I wished kept it. I lost a few friends from college and as my mother couldn't drive I was forced into not getting the X7 or RD 250 I really wanted.

In 1984 we moved down south and afters few years I realised that getting around the tristate area of Dorset/Hampshire/Wiltshire was difficult in summer.

Although there was no need as I had a car licence and was old enough the CBT was not a required I decided to do it and had lessons at the old Salisbury cattle market, now waitrose.

My first proper bike was a Honda VT250 in black, but I very soon got bored and traded it for a GS500E, which I had for a fairly long time. That was traded for a Ducati ST4 and in turn that for the K1300s I now have.

I have had a Dr350 and KTM 400 EXC for green laning, sadly both gone and a Funduro which I traded for an F800 GS.

I no longer own a car although my wife does. I commute and do blood running for SERV Wessex on the GS.

I'm not sure I agree that it's in my DNA because prior to the late 80s most lads and certainly some girls had no choice.